Multitool score!!

Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
857
I know we had a thread recently about Target's clearancing of various SAKs and multitools, but none of my friends and relations are knife knuts, so I thought I'd share with y'all.

I checked three Super Targets in a 15 mile radius in northwest Denver and found the best deal at the store in Superior:

Victorinox MiniChamp: $3.74 (reg. $14.99)
Leatherman Squirt S4: $14.98 (reg. $29.99)
Gerber Compact w/corkscrew 400 multitool $8.74 (reg. $34.99)

I own a number of 84mm and 91mm SAKs but I've never gotten arout to getting a MiniChamp - it'll probably be in my EDC along with a 3" lockback folder and a larger SAK. I already own the Squirt P4 (pliers) and I look forward to putting the S4 (scissors) through its paces (does anyone favor the S4 over the Micra, or vice-versa?).

The Gerber is pretty crappy - I know Gerber has had a decline in quality at least since they were bought by Fiskars a few years ago. The Gerber is worth $8 at MOST, but I figure I can use it as a beater or loaner.

All in all, a great multitool day! :thumbup:
 
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
2,792
MG_Saldivar said:
I own a number of 84mm and 91mm SAKs but I've never gotten arout to getting a MiniChamp - it'll probably be in my EDC along with a 3" lockback folder and a larger SAK. I already own the Squirt P4 (pliers) and I look forward to putting the S4 (scissors) through its paces (does anyone favor the S4 over the Micra, or vice-versa?).

Although the S4 is more elegant and handles better, having used both I lean toward the Micra. It has much longer screwdrivers than those Squirt stubbies and a somewhat better cap lifter.

That said, at the price you paid, I would have bought as many as conscience would allow and have had years worth of gifts on hand (and just maybe keep one of those little beauties for myself :) ). Likewise the Minichamps.

All my local Targets have sold out all Micras,Squirts and Minichamps. No deals for me :(
 

parnass

Basic Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
405
MG_Saldivar,

Thanks for the alert about Target's clearance sale on selected Victorinox and Leatherman tools! I scored a few Victorinox One-Hand Trekkers for half price -- $12.48.

I own a half dozen or so Victorinox knives, but the One-Hand Trekker is the first one I've had with locking blades, black nylon scales, and in this form factor.

The One-Hand Trekker doesn't appear on the Victorinox web site. The main blade is serrated for the first two thirds closest to the tip and straight thereafter. It has a handy thumb hole for one-hand opening, hence the name One-Hand Trekker. Here's a photo:

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/KnivesTools/5001697_v1_m56577569830553464.jpg

After posting this, I went to a second Target which had a somewhat different selection on clearance. I bought a Leatherman Juice CS4 for $27.48, reduced from $54.99. It's an interesting multitool, though I think it would be overpriced at $50.

There were Gerber 400 needle nosed multitools selling for about $8 (yes, $8), but I didn't care for them and passed them by.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
264
MG_Saldivar said:
Victorinox MiniChamp: $3.74 (reg. $14.99)

Is that the new MiniChamp (use to be called the MiniChamp II ,but now seems to have replaced the MiniChamp)?

The new MiniChamp has more tools such as the magnetic philips screwdriver/caplifter/wire stripper.

All I was ever able to find in Target was the old version.
 
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
2,792
Glory Be! I went back to Target looking for something else and found a Juice CS4 at $27.48. This is an item I have been somewhat interested in but not at its normal sale price. It is in my pocket now and will be EDC for evaluation. So I get some sugar after all.
Thanx much, MG_Saldivar :)
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
857
gatch said:
Is that the new MiniChamp (use to be called the MiniChamp II ,but now seems to have replaced the MiniChamp)?

The new MiniChamp has more tools such as the magnetic philips screwdriver/caplifter/wire stripper.

Gatch, I believe I bought the 'old' MiniChamp - mine doesn't have a philips screwdrive (but it does have some freaky tool called an 'orange peeler,' which I have no idea how to use :rolleyes: ).
 
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
2,792
MG_Saldivar said:
Gatch, I believe I bought the 'old' MiniChamp - mine doesn't have a philips screwdrive (but it does have some freaky tool called an 'orange peeler,' which I have no idea how to use :rolleyes: ).

The orange peeler is my favorite tool on the Minichamp. It is more use to me than the small phillips screwdriver because I never encounter ph screws that small. OTOH, when I wield the peeler, all oranges give it up.:D
 

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Joined
Mar 15, 2000
Messages
45,834
I've always meant to give the one-handed Trekker a try. May have to visit "Tar-zhey" as my wife calls it.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
857
Guyon said:
I've always meant to give the one-handed Trekker a try.

Go for it - it's a nice knife, especially if you can get if for <$15. HOWEVER, be aware that of the two or three locking mechanisms Victorinox uses, the Trekker has a 'reverse liner lock.'

If you're right-handed, you close most linerlocks/framelocks by holding the knife in your right hand and pushing or depressing the lock with your thumb, then closing the blade with your index or middle finger, at which point you slide your thumb out of the way.

With the Trekker, if you hold the knife in your right hand, your thumb has to PULL the lock towards you, not push it away from you. I never could close it one-handed, so I presume it was some kind of feature to force the user to close the blade with both hands. :confused:
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
264
I checked my local Target stores and in one I found the Spartan Lite (Ruby) on clearance for $13.98 (down from $27.99 and listed by SAK at a full price of $40).

They had 2 left so I grab them both :)

I will EDC it for a while in place of my beloved Sportsman and see how it works out.

No other SAK's were on clearance, but I will continue to look out for future deals.
 
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
194
This may have been mentioned before, but I was in Target over the weekend and picked up the last LM Squirt S4 they had for $9.97, but the bigger score was that they had the LM Blasts for $19.99!

I thought it was just a mistake on the pricing sticker on the rack, but I took it to one of those scanners and it scanned in at $19.99! I picked up a couple of those just cuz I couldn't pass on them for that price.
 

parnass

Basic Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
405
I've looked at the knives and multitools at 4 local Target stores and have found that each store sets its own clearance prices.

Glad I bought the Vic One-Hand Trekker for $12.48 at the closest Target. The only other Target which still had one in stock is selling it for $5 more.
 
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Messages
196
just got back from target and noticed this thread. i bought all they had of the minichamps. at 3.74 it was too good to pass up. i love it when target puts things on sale. now im just waiting on the river rock .5w flashlights to go on sale :).

billyp
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
331
MG_Saldivar said:
Go for it - it's a nice knife, especially if you can get if for <$15. HOWEVER, be aware that of the two or three locking mechanisms Victorinox uses, the Trekker has a 'reverse liner lock.'

If you're right-handed, you close most linerlocks/framelocks by holding the knife in your right hand and pushing or depressing the lock with your thumb, then closing the blade with your index or middle finger, at which point you slide your thumb out of the way.

With the Trekker, if you hold the knife in your right hand, your thumb has to PULL the lock towards you, not push it away from you. I never could close it one-handed, so I presume it was some kind of feature to force the user to close the blade with both hands. :confused:

I am right handed and with practice I have learned to close my OHF (One-Handed Fireman) one-handed by means of these steps:
1) Hold OHF in right hand in normal fashion
2) Move thumb to rest on top of back of (open) main blade
3) Apply SLIGHT pressure downwards with thumb on back of (open and locked) main blade
4) Reach index finger arround and press lock to the left, releasing the lock
5) Press back of main blade down SLIGHTLY to prevent lock from re-locking
6) Move index finger back out of the way
6) Move thumb off of main blade
7) Move index finger to back of main blade
8) Support knife by holding between thumb on left side of knife and other three (non-index) fingers on right side of knife
9) Close main blade by pressing it down with index finger on back of main blade

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't, after you practice it a bit.:D

- Tim
 
Top