MultiTools: Tools - How many do you use?

In my '80's vintage SAK Huntsman and my LM Wave, I've used every tool at one time or another. The knife blades, pliers, scissors, and screwdrivers seem to get used the most with the awl, can opener, and file being used less frequently. The remaining tools are used far less, but they still have gotten used from time to time.

I have not had my Vic Spirit for too long yet, so I haven't had to use it that much so far except for the knife, pliers, and that chisel thingy (what a neat addition!)

My normal EDC is a SAK, a multitool (either a Wave or SwissTool) and a beefier locking folder or pocket fixed blade, and I almost forgot my Micra and SwissCard Lite.

In a normal day, the SAK will take care of most tasks (specially when I'm around sheeple) and the multitool will only come out if I need pliers (which is the main advantage of multitools over SAKs, IMO) or some screwdriver my SAK doesn't have. I almost never use the blades on my multitools, as I always have a better knife on me.

I carry multitools because I like to be prepared for days that don't unfold like the "normal" ones. I've had a couple of opportunities to use my multitools that could have turned into real problems, had they not been with me.

A couple of days ago, I forgot my Wave on the kitchen table, and left with the empty sheath on my belt. When I got to the place I was going to, I realized I had left it at home. I had this very unnerving feeling all day long about nasty situations in which I would need it and not have it on me. Just dropping it in my pack makes me feel all warm and prepared.

i have a leatherman squirt on my keychain and have a leatherman cahrge xti as my "work around the house" tool. both get a lot of use

lost my wave last fall :(

also have a few retired micras

Brangdon said:
And I have a Swiss Tool. That's actually missing quite a few "must have" tools. No scissors, no small screwdriver, no corkscrew.....It's too heavy to carry outside, though.

You need the SwissTool X or R/S for scissors. I don't miss the small screwdriver because I carry an eyeglass repair kit on my person. As for the corkscrew, well, I don't use one.

For me, the fantastic fit and finish of the SwissTool outweigh -- pun intended -- any concerns about its weight. It feels far more substantial in my hand than my Leatherman Wave does. I personally like the heft of the SwissTool. I carry mine outside quite often, riding on my belt.

I use the scissors on my SAK the most, but I like knowing I have the extra tools in case of emergencies and have used many of them on occasion. For example last night, I used the screwdriver to pull out a battery that was jammed inside a smoke detector (it had a plastic drawer that swung out to hold the battery).

Everyone should have a SAK or 2 or 3 or .....

I wear a LM Wave in a tightly fitting, horizontal belt pouch. I use:
........1- Serrated & plain blades.
........2- Pliers, in all its applications.
........3- Scissors.
........4- Some of the screwdriver blades.
........5- The coarse side of the file
........6- Rarely, the wood saw.
I consider the rest of the tools as really cheap insurance. I have gotten so used to the bulk and weight, I miss it on occasions when I can't wear it (e.g. air travel or jury duty.
Some insurance requires regular payments but with a good multitool, you only pay once.

Back