1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Museum Model: pix, review

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Ad Astra, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    The Museum Model took 5 days to get here... since it was delivered to my neighbor down the street. Postman must be on crack; the package was labeled correctly.

Ever seen Not2Sharp's cool collection of similar-handled exotic stuff? The MM is reminiscent of South Seas blades I can't pronounce. :D
    It also has a 21st century twist too. Ancient and futuristic both at the same time.

Left: 25" Kobra by Kumar. 25.5", 1 lb. 15.8 oz.

Middle: Museum Model by Kumar. 21", 2 lb. 8.7 oz.

Right: YCS by Kumar. 18.5", 2 lb. 3.5 oz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MM came both sharp and polished, rare in my experience. The blade geometry might be like that of a samsher (Norm?); what I am sure of is it works and I like it.

The bottom handle plate can contact your hand; there is an easy fix by gripping toward the top of the grip. Not a particularly comfortable handle but it all seems 100% steel construction (magnet test). Made to last. Think I will eventually soften the edges of the guard with sandpaper. It has a nice balance as well.

The guard has to be from a day of sword and hand-to-hand fighting. The weight trade-off would be for hand protection, like a basket-handled sword. (Well, duh. :D Just thinkin' out loud.) Can't find the time to test on trees this weekend but I believe this thing is built like a brick sh_thouse. Can't imagine this one failing. Fit and finish would be a "10/10" as UB would say. Perfect quality.

Glad to have snagged this rare cool khuk. Many thanks Yangdu, for your thoughtful note/inclusion. I appreciate it.

Mike

d'oh! Nasty, move this to HI forum please. Thanks.

2. MauiRob

MauiRob

Nov 15, 2000
    Thanks for the great pics Mike.

I like my MM too:thumbup:

3. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool blade. Good report.

Thanks!

Steve

4. Morgane

Morgane

May 29, 2005
    Great pics. It's nice having the MM framed by a couple of other blades by Kumar.

5. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great pictures and review, thank you Mike

6. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Mike, it's really a Junge style blade, with the same SoS. Good review and pics. I should have read this before I posted that the handle was all aluminium, and have edited my other posts accordingly. That's what assumptions will do to you, and a simple magnet test would have confirmed.

Thanks,

Norm