Museum quality knives - where are they sold?

All,

I'm curious. I've been interested in knives for a loooong time now. There is a fairly large volume of relatively good quality knives being traded on sites, on eBay, or in forums. Yet, the true museum quality knives (AKI quality level) are incredibly rare. Is it that people who invest in those knives are less likely to let them go? Or is it that all the exchanges take place in more exclusive spheres? What do you think? What do you know? ;)

Thanks,

JD

I can only guestimate these pieces are in the collections of folks who simply keep them hidden, and network trades/sales quietly! :D I'm witcha, Joss. Look in the Weyer/Points Of Interest book series, and there seem to be TONS of never-to-be-seen knives. Museum quality to be sure.

Every once in a while, though....

Coop

There are guys here on the forum that make and sell customs that in my opinion are absolutely flawless to the eye and IMHO "museum" quality work.

Originally posted by berettaman12000
There are guys here on the forum that make and sell customs that in my opinion are absolutely flawless to the eye and IMHO "museum" quality work.

My first thought when I saw the title for this thread... www.fisk-knives.com :D

Mongo,

You're not getting my question. First, there are a lot of makers capable of museum quality pieces. Fisk is clearly one, and so is Don Fogg, my personnal favorite, but there are probably several dozens more. The point is, though, that those knives hardly ever come to the surface. Fisk will have some real stunners at the Reno show, and other bladesmiths will too. Yet, there must be thousands of trully top quality knives (I'm talking about the top 5% of the custom production here), in private collections, and they hardly ever hit the second-hand market. Or at least, not the markets I'm in...

JD

Originally posted by Joss
Mongo,

You're not getting my question. First, there are a lot of makers capable of museum quality pieces. Fisk is clearly one, and so is Don Fogg, my personnal favorite, but there are probably several dozens more. The point is, though, that those knives hardly ever come to the surface. Fisk will have some real stunners at the Reno show, and other bladesmiths will too. Yet, there must be thousands of trully top quality knives (I'm talking about the top 5% of the custom production here), in private collections, and they hardly ever hit the second-hand market. Or at least, not the markets I'm in...

JD

Joss, I did get your question... I guess I should've added a smiley of some sort. My answer was merely a knee-jerk reaction to a question that I did not know the real answer to. I think that those that originally buy these pieces walk in financial circles that I can only dream of. And when they do sell off their stuff, they deal with exclusive brokers in usually a less than world-wide web manner. Again, only conjecture on my part. I guess I gotta work on obtaining wealth in the "stinking-filthy" category.

The first problem is that you don't just buy and sell knives of this calibre. If you take that approach you will be shunned.

You must contact a knife Purveyor to have you bonafides checked out. Only then will the robes part so to speak.

(This is tongue in cheek BTW)

The three most prolific collectors I know (and Walter is on of them) were wandering together at the Blade Show during the beginning of the show. While they were together, one of them picked up the nicest Cinquedea that Bill Moran has made for a nice sum.

I think it all comes down to friends when you get to that level of collecting or collecting at any level.

Back