Mushroom season!!

I know alot of us like to hunt and fish....well now it's "shroom'in season"
We need some more rain, but this is the first days catch:
Picture089.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture090.jpg

....these are going over elk tenderloin :)

Sean

Are they a type of morral? Thats something I've enjoyed doing when I have the time. Just wish I knew alittle more about what I'm looking for.

This is what I look for.........a spongy , brain looking top.....the white "stem" and cap are all 1 piece, and the entire mushroom is hollow.There are some False morrels..so be carefull

Those are some nasty looking mushrooms, I'm used to my good old Portabella shrooms, but I have a deep feeling that those wild mushrooms taste great just the same. They just look like brains to me.

I've lived in the midwest for 3/4 of my life and I have yet to go out shrooming. I've heard apple orchards (wouldn't want all the chemicals they spray on those poor things, though) and graveyards are the best locations for morrels. I've also heard that ones that grown on cow poop are the best things ever! ;)

Yep, they're Morrals.

My wife hunts them every spring in Maryland.

The season only lasts a couple of weeks.

She got out twice.

The first time was a sunny day after a good rain and she found about 60 in 4 hours. :)

She went out 2 days later for 4 hours and found 10. :(

You just never know.

We split them and soke them in salt water; to get the little black bugs out.

Then just flour and fry them.

They are my wife's FAVORITE food.

Dan, do the morrals that you wife gets have a peppery flavor? I've only had them once here and they were real spicy. Shaggymains or ink caps I've found several different times here in the fall.

Thanks so much for a reminder of wonderful memories of times with family who have gone on to Heaven since then.
My wife's Uncle Lum used to annually find Morrals in areas in the woods on Crane Naval Depot where he worked in Southern Indiana.
Once or twice in the Spring, he would give some to my wife's fraternal Grandmother to cook up a batch that we got to eat.
Morrals soaked in salt water, lightly floured, fried up in an old iron skillet she used for years and years. Eaten with awsome fried chicken, green beans cooked for hours and flavored with a ckunk of bacon, and topped off with a from-scratch berry or apple or lemon pie., all with family for company.....I have never eaten better than that ( well except for my Mother-in -law's fried chicken when she could still cook it, being as good)....

Thanks for the reminder of great times gone by!

I keep coming across words that have had their spelling changed. All my books call those mushrooms MORELS.

mete said:
I keep coming across words that have had their spelling changed. All my books call those mushrooms MORELS.

Do you like wild mushrooms, or hunt them ? Any stories to share, or did you just chime in to be the spelling police?
Everyone here seems to have understood what was ment.

John R. Fraps said:
Thanks so much for a reminder of wonderful memories of times with family who have gone on to Heaven since then.
My wife's Uncle Lum used to annually find Morrals in areas in the woods on Crane Naval Depot where he worked in Southern Indiana.
Once or twice in the Spring, he would give some to my wife's fraternal Grandmother to cook up a batch that we got to eat.
Morrals soaked in salt water, lightly floured, fried up in an old iron skillet she used for years and years. Eaten with awsome fried chicken, green beans cooked for hours and flavored with a ckunk of bacon, and topped off with a from-scratch berry or apple or lemon pie., all with family for company.....I have never eaten better than that ( well except for my Mother-in -law's fried chicken when she could still cook it, being as good)....

Thanks for the reminder of great times gone by!

Ya, this is my 1st year hunting mushrooms without my father. He was killed 4-18-04. Odd enough, I had to teach him how to find them.

Back