1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mushroom Walk

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by RobbieB, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Where I live, we've had more rainy weather this year than any other I can remember. For about the past two or three months, we've had at least a little rain just about every day, with very few exceptions. As a result, mushrooms are rampant, so I decided to brave the 80% humidity, high heat and mosquitos to go on a mushroom walk... not to harvest, but to capture in photos. I was really surprised at the variety I found during a short time in the woods. Different shapes, sizes, colors and textures. Some were stout while others more delicate.

First the obligatory knife photos. I decided to take my @Cohutta Tellico along with my Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now for @Odaon and any other 'shroom aficionados, here they are in no particular order...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Nice!
    Great knife, beautiful pics! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I recently visited my folks back home (Austria) and we went on a ‘shroom walk, too. We harvested these. Tossed them in a skillet with some fresh butter from a local farm and parsley from the garden :)

ETA: Next time I hope to be carrying that Micro Strebig that @Cohutta is making for me ;)

A762A74D-A5F3-4985-A7C7-32AFFFC5AEEC.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Lady1911, hasco, jaz322 and 4 others like this.
  3. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    great pics. I miss my Telico that I sold Nate, as it is a really nice all around design. However cutting shrooms might be asking a bit much for one of those fancy Cochuttie knives by that city slicker Russell dude.

4. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    I’ve been called a lot of things in my life... but I think that’s the first time city slicker has been used in a sentence with my name ;)

@RobbieB good to see that Tellico getting some use! I only recognize one of those mushrooms, but looks like you found quite the variety.

5. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I love that Tellico and it’s great to see it being used. :thumbsup:

Dibs if you ever get ready to part with it. :)

Lady1911, MTBmonkey and RobbieB like this.
  6. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I've been away on vacation and haven't been checking in on the forums much, but I saw the email for this one and had to come check it out. Just got back today!

I recognize many of those mushrooms, at least to the family. Some cool ones in there... Boletaceae, Amanita species, possibly some Pluteus. I can come back and take a better look a little later on and try to ID some more of them closer to the species level.

The 6th one is definitely a chanterelle, Cantharellus species, and the 11th looks like a Mycetinis sp. A mushroom I just recently learned! Some of the mushrooms in this genus smell and taste exactly like garlic.

Adam Haritan, Learn Your Land, just did a great video on those species. :thumbsup:

Lady1911, Fiddleback, Bmurray and 6 others like this.
  7. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    @Oyster what are those? Look delicious.

Oyster likes this.
  8. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    They were!

Chanterelles.

Same species as @Odaon identified in @RobbieB ’s 6th pic.

ETA: Because of our travels, I was reluctant to take any of my prized Fiddlebacks (for fear that they might get lost, stolen or confiscated) and only had a (boring) production folder with me.
    But, man, did I ever miss having one of my ladies (LL or OS LF) that day!
    I should really pick up a set to keep in Austria for when I visit...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Odaon and Lady1911 like this.