Musings on a new bag

Decisions, decisions.

I am currently a happy owner of a SBL Large Satchel. Love the bag. It's wonderful.

Unfortunately, my 15" Macbook Pro won't fit in the satchel. Therein lays my dilemma. My laptop will fit in a SBL briefcase, either the large classic or the medium thin. Really, for my current activities, the thin briefcase is good enough. But as a wise man once told me (see my sig): "Computers always need more memory. Bags always need more capacity." In a few years I might be traveling more. If that happens, the thin probably won't cut it any more.

On the other hand, there's the weight issue. A 15" macbook weighs roughly 5.5 lbs. A large classic briefcase weighs in at 7.5 lbs. A thin briefcase weighs in at 4.25 lbs. So even before I start adding power bricks, notes books, random cables, and other odds and ends to the bag, I'm already looking at lugging around 13lbs or 9.75 lbs, depending on which bag I get. Obviously the thin briefcase wins when I think about running around airports.

Orrrr.... Just to add another option, I could stick with my satchel, and instead get a 13" Macbook Air, which would fit inside it. Of course, a Macbook Air is way more money than either of the SBL briefcases, and it's also one more computer to manage, but I have to admit the idea is tempting. At least I'd be able to use my laptop when I'm jammed into cattle class by the sadistic airlines.

What to do, what to do.

At the moment I'm just living with my Spire messenger bag. I kind of hate it. I bought it years ago when I was carrying around a 17" macbook, so it's physically way too big for what I need. It probably weighs about the same as a SBL thin, medium briefcase, but it's got no style, and it's grungy and the fabric has gotten kind of floppy to boot. The thing has lasted me 10 years, but it's time to replace it. And every time I have to leave the house with my laptop, and leave my SBL satchel behind, it kind of kills me, know what I mean?

I'm not really looking for advice, just thinking out loud. Still, if you've got any words of insight, feel free to share.

Just bought a large DCB satchel to use as an everyday bag. It's probably larger than I need for edc, but better larger than smaller. It's enroute, haven't received it yet. I've been using a CN medium classic briefcase. Love it!!!, but too big (for me) for everyday use. I'd advise you to strongly consider the classic BC, whether medium or large - whichever meets your needs. You'll have all your bases covered. You know the products, so no regrets... the weight considered is really insignificant compared to what you get. Just my $.02 -Rob

Thanks Rob. I just ordered a Large Bifold Wallet in carbon black. Decided to do that to ease my SBL jones, since I can't seem to make any decisions on the bag. :)

I'll be traveling in late November and I'm going to need my laptop on that trip. I'll probably have to make a final decision in the next few weeks.

Decision, decisions....

I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop which weighs in at a hefty 5,96lbs. To that I added a Samsonite neoprene cover. Not sure what that weighs. Then there is the powerpack and cables which probably adds another 1,5lbs to the tally.

I carry all this in a Spec-Ops THE messenger bag with two Maxped 7X5X4 pouches added. All of which is nylon but still quite substantial and I STAGGER around like a drunken sailor when I am carrying it. I am 5,10" and weigh 220lbs and lift fairly heavy weights at the gym twice a week. I think if the bag weighs MORE than the laptop you are really going to struggle to haul it around. My two cents.

Back