Review Muteki Alex Horn and KnifeMark.com

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings all, just got this very nice neck knife, made by Alex Horn who is under the tutelage of Murray Carter, Desert Ironwood scales and the blade is just under 3 1/2" from the tip of the scales to the tip of the blade, handle measures just a smidge longer than that.
Blade is the san mai mix of stainless sides with the Hitachi white steel for the core, you can see the center core along the edge. I'll later on will use some ferric to bring out that definition and make it a bit more dramatic.

The neck sheath retains the knife pretty well, I think the one rivet near the guard could have been a little lower, I may add another rivet just below that one to aid in a stronger retention...because let me tell you, this puppy is ground thin to win! And arrived razor sharp as you might imagine.

And KNIFEMARK KNIFEMARK is fairly new to our forum as a Paid Dealership but from this initial order with them, Ken in particular, I'm impressed. I finally pulled the trigger this past Saturday afternoon around 3:30pm there abouts, response from them was quick, and shortly I had an email that the knife had shipped already! And was due to me here in NY, from FL, for Tuesday delivery, that's fast. And, today, it arrived a day earlier ! Colour me happy, thanks Ken.

As to the knife, Alex Horn did a great job on this, tapered tang makes the balance at about the first pin in the handle, giving it only a slight handle heavy feel, the knife is quite light and will not be a burden to wear around the neck at all. The blade is ground down quite thin, I've cut a little with it and it cuts very well.

Here are some images taken tonight of the knife and sheath;

Alex Horn by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Alex Horn's stamp, each apprentice has their own stylized stamp, the orangish blade colour is from a reflection of me...I think, as the blade does not have any colour like that on it.

and the Muteki stamp

Thanks again Ken, great knife and even better service, what a combo ;)
G2

Thanks again Ken, the knife is simply very well made, here is a shot of how I modded the sheath to help in retention, just a decorative concho that squishes the entrance closed a little tighter, not a big deal but certainly feels safer to carry by way of neck now ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Looks great Gary, you can also warm up the kydex with a heat gun or a hair dryer and press the opening a little tighter if you want more retension. I imagine you will be making a very nice leather sheath for this knife before long :)

Thanks, I thought about using something to heat it up but felt a mechanical form of closing the gap would last longer.

And here's a shot of the knife after putting some ferric chloride along the blade edge to highlight that center layer of Hitachi white steel core;

G2

Beautiful! These Carter Cutlery neckers are just what the doctor ordered for low-profile EDC carry. ;)

I just received an Alex Horn Muteki Camp Knife myself which has customary excellent fit & finish and is just a beauty.

Gary, as for the ferric acid, do you simply brush a bit of that onto the edge and then let it sit for a while? I love the effect.

Thanks sir and as to the acid, I used a Q-tip dipped in the acid and brushed it onto the areas, letting it set you can watch the metal turn black within seconds, if there is a waxy polished surface it may take longer or not take evenly, but I just persevere and let it settle in to get the nice contrast of the hardened steel to the stainless outer layers.

G2

Back