My 1st Spydie: Caly 3 CF and Damascus Sprint Run

Locutus D'Borg

Platinum Member
Absolutely love it. SS bolster makes it feel a tad heavy (it is an enormous 3 oz!!!) but heavy in just the right way, and perfectly balanced when open. This is a tank of a knife, thick spine and zero blade movement. Of all my knives, it feels most like my Hinderer XM-18.

IMG_0045_zps26c50c5b.jpg

Congrats! You really went for it with your first Spydie.
I love the Caly series.
If you like lockbacks, the Spyderco Native 5 and Sage 4 are rock solid.

Congrats,
You are not fooling around, you got cream of the crop.:thumbup:
I really hope that Spyderco would make another run of Damascus Caly3, but scales will be wood or bone. Stag will be OK as well :)

Thanks to all for the comments. I wasn't sure I'd like the spydie hole as an opener, but love it. Gives my sore thumb a rest. And I collect damascus - see my video "Damascus EDC Knives: Chris Reeve and William Henry" - so I will have to do a video update and include Spyderco. I'm stoked. And broke.

That is a great way to start things off. Looks awesome.

Congrats,
You are not fooling around, you got cream of the crop.:thumbup:
I really hope that Spyderco would make another run of Damascus Caly3, but scales will be wood or bone. Stag will be OK as well :)

Thanks, BH49. These CF scales are flat in coloration (or whatever you call reflectivity), they absorb light. Smooth, but no sheen at all. So I'm working in some Renwax to bring in a luster. But they have a nice feel to them, smooth but with the ever so slightest grip.

Received my Caly 3 CF Damascus as a holiday gift from my wife and it's been my primary edc ever since. I swap out for my Resilience (more SD oriented) or FRN Meadowlark 2 (for rougher/dirtier use) a couple days a week still, but I carry the Caly 3 whenever I do not have a specific use in mind.

Know what you mean about the heft of the Caly being reassuring. I forget that I have the Meadowlark in my pocket and the ergos are very good, but the Caly just feels so much more substantial and trustworthy.

I rather like the satin finish of the CF and think it is just rough enough to make the handle feel secure, but smooth enough to make it feel refined at the same time.

Came out of the box sharp enough to treetop hair and with no discernable flaws.

I gifted myself one for Christmas. It was marked from my family on the wrapping paper, but the end result is the same. It's off-the-charts cool. I have been carrying this one, my new Caly and my Dodo pretty regularly these days.

Back