1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My addiction

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I just can't stop! Handle material is just too fun!

[​IMG]

2. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    nice. that means you're just gonna have to grind out more blades! do you do anything with natural materials? you know, for (gasp) pretty display pieces and such.

3. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Oh yeah! Yes I have natural materials as well and so far have used walnut and cocobolo as far as wood goes. I also have some nice black palm, rosewood, maple, spalted maple, redwood burl and more. I plan on using more wood in the future.

Funny enough I got into knifemaking because I wanted to make knives with stone handles but when I got into knifemaking I realized I wanted to make knives that were really tough... plus I love layered materials and fun stuff like that. I have used desert scene jasper, red jasper and black jade on some Buck Knives I modded when I first started out. I have a bunch of dino bone for scales that will be very nice... besides that I have 100's of other stone slabs I want to use. Fun stuff!

4. goobie

goobie

Feb 24, 2011
    Damn dude, you need help!:D Any of that goin on some smaller bushcrafters??;)

5. Papp71

Papp71

Jun 30, 2010
    I'm a sucker for carbon fiber...

6. trkJr

trkJr Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Carbon fiber glow? Come on, you know you want it!

7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I just got that carbon fiber in, it looks really good... nice twill pattern.

Maybe with the next round, that would be killer!

8. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    You know it! Pink, yellow, lime green and maybe red, blue or jade green. I have a 9" bushcrafter and 4 smaller ones I profiled recently! :D

9. goobie

goobie

Feb 24, 2011
    Love to see em when they're done! Just don't mix all those colors together:eek:

10. Gnarly

Gnarly

May 12, 2010
    CARBON FIBER Ti poon...with bottle opener ass!

11. KFU

KFU Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator

Sep 10, 2007
    I hear ya man! I only use wood but I have enough to make probably 100 knives or so and can't stop buying. If I see something I like I buy it. I figure I can always sell what I don't want.

12. crewbot

crewbot

Jul 13, 2011
    I'd take one of those too.

13. IMWILSON

IMWILSON Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2011
    How would carbon fiber work as a sheath? Ti Necker with carbon fiber sheath!! Talk about
    being light, you wouldn't even know it's there.

14. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Ti necker with carbide-treated blade and bottle opener, higonokami-style with resin/composite handle. Won't take much in materials either.

15. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    lol that would be crazy! No mixed neon colors I promise!

Yeah! Sounds killer!

It is tough! lol I have a huge box of wood too, I love it! What is really funny is that I have even more stone scales! I have been trading stone slabs for years.

You know... some wood you have will be going on a knife I have yet to make... pretty cool!

I may have to bust some out!

Carbon fiber would make a killer sheath. I have seen some cool ones and have looked into making them as epoxy work is almost another hobby of mine.

They are tough and pricey to do but well worth it, they are light, strong and look killer! I should try something like burlap first, I keep thinking of making one.

I have been looking into them recently as well as friction folders, they rock! Interesting you brought them up, I have been planning one. (friction folder)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011