My BK-16 saved my life...

No Wambo, that Bk-16 will give you more fun if it is on you belt not on your wall. It saved your life once, it could save it again in the future.:thumbup:

well considering I'm broke Ill probably keep using it for a while, at least until I pick up some new steel :D

We entered a heterosexual thermal preservation position lol :D

HAHA, I am gonna have to use that one at my SAR Survival Training this weekend. :p

Glad to hear you made it out alright though! Like alot of people said, you were alot more prepared than the majority of the population. I find it pretty sad some of the supposed "outdoorsman" there are out there. I just joined the local SAR, and they said that hunting season is the busiest part of the year for rescue operations. Perhaps they should have bought a map and compass instead of those Mossy Oak seat covers for their truck... :rolleyes: Granted, sometimes it can happen to even the most experienced person, but for most people just a little bit of light reading into basic survival and navigation could prevent situations like that...

I bet that was a good learning experience for you. I think everyone should experience that lost panic mode at least a little bit so they know to avoid it. Just recently I got turned around in an area I was unfamiliar with and had that panic sensation. I knew I would be able to find my way back since I had a map of the area and knew where the local roads were from my planned route, but I still felt the elevated heart rate, and my faster pace. I needed to head north to the road running parallel to my initial route, but I continually found myself drifting east. It was alot of - walk,check compass, readjust, walk, check compass, readjust, and so on... Finally found my way to that road, and ultimately back to where my vehicle was parked. It was a very dense state forest, and could have easily turned into a very bad situation if I had injured myself. It was a pain in the ass, but I am glad I had experienced it, so now I know if it happens again, that I just need to sit down and get my mind right before I proceed.

That BK16 of yours is gonna be pretty sentimental now I'm sure. Better hang on to it for a long time. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Great job bringing a good knife with you for a day hike. My friends always look at me wierd when I do and I just keep sayin, you never know. Glad you made it out ok

Wow great story. Glad to hear you two made it out alive. It could have been way worse.

Bryan

good you made it out and got a fire going.

it's a hard thing having to eat your buddy first thing like that, but you gotta do what you have to in order to survive :)

plus you get his stuff :D

You sir, are nothing short of lucky. I'm glad you made it out, but you guys were horribly unprepared . I get that way too sometimes...it's easier to pack less and not have that heavy rucksack on your back... But in the end a flashlight and a map would have save you guys from that experience. We all prepair for the worst but very few of us ever experience it. You made it through on a hope and a prayer. Congrats brother. Get better soon. And remember...prepair for the worst and hope for the best....that heavy pack full of gear is a nursed on a good day and worth it's weight in good on a bad day.

A1

Why people head out into the bush or wilderness without a small handheld GPS is beyond me.

Because some of us rely on more reliable methods of navigation. I choose map and compass over GPS everytime, mostly, because I've seen a few GPS's take a dump mid trek.

I like to use my topos dot come for my map needs, but many times, I've headed out with nothing but a backstop and handrail, along with my Suunto to guide me.

For me, there's not much to the adventure, without some risk. I usually pack out everything I need for a dayhike, on the basis of an overnighter, and an overnighter packs out like a 3 day, and a 3 day, packs out like I'm heading out without ever coming back.

Sometimes, I roll with just a Camelbak and a knife kit. Sometimes just a knife.

If one doesn't challenge one's self, then there is no growth.

Moose

Last edited:
What do you mean? A cell phone is all you need to survive these days! :rolleyes:
I hate to say this but, that's how we found them. We "pinged" their GPS on their cell phone, that got us close and it was yelling and whistles to get us the rest of the way.

And regarding what Moose said about complacency, I only brought my BK16 with me and I second guessed the need for a machete, Blackberries and all, shoulda brought the machete.

good you made it out and got a fire going.

it's a hard thing having to eat your buddy first thing like that, but you gotta do what you have to in order to survive :)

plus you get his stuff :D

Bladite, in his usual fashion, brings up a sound point. It goes something like this: He who stabs first eats last. :eek: Glad you made it out. :thumbup:

We entered a heterosexual thermal preservation position lol :D

Next time, take a third guy so you can be the meat in the sandwich.

Because some of us rely on more reliable methods of navigation. I choose map and compass over GPS everytime, mostly, because I've seen a few GPS's take a dump mid trek.

I like to use my topos dot come for my map needs, but many times, I've headed out with nothing but a backstop and handrail, along with my Suunto to guide me.

For me, there's not much to the adventure, without some risk. I usually pack out everything I need for a dayhike, on the basis of an overnighter, and an overnighter packs out like a 3 day, and a 3 day, packs out like I'm heading out without ever coming back.

Sometimes, I roll with just a Camelbak and a knife kit. Sometimes just a knife.

If one doesn't challenge one's self, then there is no growth.

Moose

+1. I broke my GPS early one morning hunting in the thick woods of NH by closing it in the tailgate of my truck as I prepared to head out pre dawn (doh!):rolleyes:. I felt comfortable enough with my map and compass, and at the end of the day ended up back at my truck relying solely on following compass bearings and referencing the topo all day. There were times that I was discombobulated and swore the compass was off (overcast day with no shadows) but the voice of my old Instrument Flight Instructor kept ringing in my head; "trust your instruments", and I'm glad I did. Popped out of the woods right at my truck-of course there was no one around to witness my 'skills' that day. :D

Another time my hunting buddy and I broke out the GPS to find our way back to the truck when the woods started looking unfamiliar, the topos were off because of numerous washouts due to rain, and then it got dark. The GPS indicated the truck was only .5 mile straight "thataway", which we followed with headlamps blazing. Dropped off a small 10 ft cliff (ouch - it didn't look that steep in the dark) into the middle of a VERY thorny briar patch. The only way we could find out was thru it. We made it to the truck, bruised and scratched, and learned our lesson about blindly following the GPS in "flat" country.

No deer were harmed in the making of either story, unfortunately. :(

yeah being poor college students makes that pretty reasonable.

Ya right, when heading out into the wilderness, its more prudent to carry $100 worth of knives, probably $300 to $400 worth of other gadgets, another $300 in Hi-Tech clothing and boots, but disregard the one piece of gear (a GPS) that can save you from becoming lost.

Not picking on anyone here. Just saying I see it all the time. I ride snowmobile in very remote places, guys will get lost. And few times have ended up running out of gas and needing to be rescued. The funny thing is they are sitting there with thousands of dollars worth of gear, but no GPS.

Hey Wambo...

Thank God you used that most important of tools----your noggin......So glad you made it......also happy that your 16 made it easier to get out alive......I have been lost and I have been dehydrated and I have been hypothermic.....They ALL suck.....I have never been all three at once......YUCK !!!!!!!!.......That day pack will be a bit heavier next time me betchum!!!!......

Thanks for the post.....Many lessons learned.....BTW.... Loved the shroom pic....

All Best.......

Ethan

so:

o bring a compass. it's around your neck. with a knife, and a light.

o bring a GPS :) there's no excuse when you can you either "daddy/mommy/buddy please give me / borrow /etc" or a smart phone

o bring a charger and/or a fist full of lithium batteries for the above. what? i have a battery based charger for my phone, solar option. you don't? cheap.

o make sure your buddy has a compass too. oh, and a bloody map. scam some printer action :)

o seriously, one knife? stupid? geez. if you can afford to hunt deer, equip your ass. if you do it in MY state, they *will* charge your $15k for a rescue if you can't show you didn't prepare. mind you, a hunting license and/or prepared hiker access goes far to making that only $5k or less ;) that said, if you are doing these kinds of things, and act dumb, well, it's the tax payers that eat your body and bury you :)

o don't be dumb! :)

o bring good minimal gear, and twice that much :D seriously, the ONLY reason people go looking for you is to get good new gear ;)

it's smart to hunker down until new light at least. make that fire. best: a gps or smart phone can tell the guys where the equipment cache is :)

Back