My Case badge fell off

I took the knife out of my pocket, and something was missing. It was kinda funny. Any suggestions for glueing it back on? I was thinking of using 2 part epoxy.

Welcome to the club:rolleyes: Seems to be a common problem with Case nowadays. I had the shield fall off my stockman, I just used some superglue and it has been good to go ever since.

SuperGlue or 2-part epoxy will work fine. The key is to make sure the surface of the cover that the shield sits on and the back of the shield are completely clean and free of any of the old glue used.

Same happened on a Queen Cutlery Jack I have in ACSB.:eek: Fortunately the shield parted company with the bone in my pocket, plenty of old glue left in the 'socket' needed scraping off. Drop of Super G and it was OK. Older Queen knives and their QCCC series have pinned shields (as do GEC knives:thumbup: )

Gorilla glued a Queen shield back on once. The only one that has ever come off to date. Warning, Gorilla glue will expand and there will be some clean up required after gluing. myself, I let it dry before clean up.

For glueing the bagde shield on the handle again - I would use a fine sandpaper for getting the rest of the glue out off where the shield has been. I would also try with the sandpaper to roughen the bone/wood, that the clue will find more surface to get clued back again. I wouldn´t clue it on the "old" rest of the clue still is back in the shield hole.

Just my two cent.

Kind regards
Andi

Same here. I would probably use Superglue next time to avoid the expansion. But Gorilla glue is killer stuff.

I don't use super glue when there is water involved. Everything I have glued that comes in contact with water comes apart. YMMV.

my old man ran his yeller peanut through the wash, lost the shield, contacted case and they sent me a new one, super glued it in and its stayed put for a couple years now.
gene

This thread makes me sad. I wish Case would pin their shields.

+1 for super glue. In particular, the gel type works very well, as it won't leech or run into places where you don't want it to go. I used it to re-attach the shield on my 5344 SS Case stockman. No more worries. :thumbup:

Had the same problem with an early 80's Case canoe. I asked Case and they told me to clean out the pocket and use a strong glue. I used Gorilla Glue and no problems.

Is there anyone on this forum who would not pay even five dollars more for a Case with a pinned shield? I don't get the glue on an otherwise high quality traditional knife.

I used a daub of clear silicone caulk to glue a new shield onto a Henckels stockman. Years later it's still in place.

Is there anyone on this forum who would not pay even five dollars more for a Case with a pinned shield? I don't get the glue on an otherwise high quality traditional knife.

Depending on the number of Case knives owned, 5 Dollars can add up. Impacting their collector market of affordable knives.

Depending on the number of Case knives owned, 5 Dollars can add up. Impacting their collector market of affordable knives.

Pinned shields would be great, but I'd be willing to bet the increase in cost (to the buyer) would be a lot more than $5 anyway. Pinned shields have to be pinned to the liners (through the covers), so that alone would entail some extra hand/detail work per knife. As it is now, all they have to do is mill out the recess in the cover, drop a dab of glue in, then drop the shield in. No pin holes that have to be properly aligned to the shield recess and the shield itself, to fit. No checking to make sure pins are to the right depth, no sanding the pins flush after they're put in place. I don't think an extra $5 per knife would cover those added details.

I seem to recall reading something here a while back, about warranty repairs to handle scales, and how the inclusion of pinned shields makes that work more complicated (and therefore more expensive, if they're even willing to do it at all).

Back