My comments on the spyderench

I got my spyderench about a week ago and after waiting this long to get it, I was slightly dissapointed. Their basic idea is awesome. I have waited for a good tool that had a adjustable wrench for a long time. I had a Alied model for several years and fell in love with the concept. The spyderench is a new tool, and I am sure they will modify it as time goes on. Their knife is in a good spot that is protected, and yet can be deployed easily with one hand. The top lock seems to work good, and I can close it with one hand. The pocket clip is good and I have never had a problem with it slipping up my pocket. The consept of storing the extra bits in the handle is a good use of otherwise wasted space. The pliars don't hurt your hand and lock shut very well. They don't open as wide as I would llike them to and I will definitely still cary my leatherman. The consept of a slip joint pliars is great, but if you open the jaws too wide, they will slip out of joint, making it hard to grab something big and squeez it down. The file (screwdriver bit) is very fine, but is in an bad place. It is on the outside edge of the tool which makes it atract any dirt or grime that is in your hand or pocket. Mine is already turning dark. My biggest dissapointment was the adjustable wrench. I know that it isn't supposed to replace the end-wrench, but it has way too much play. It will tighten a bolt tighter than you can by hand, but if you try to snug it (ie- the battery clamp on your car) it will jump the screw. My opinion is that they need to give the wrench more surface area on the adjustment screw, and have tighter clearence. I was expecting a tool that was precision made by a top quality knife manufacturer, but the wrench has as much play as a 99 cent crescent wrench. This probably won't become the standard multitool, but it has a lot of potential. Everything else is perfect, and I am looking forward to seing what modifications they make to their next batch.

If you want to se some great pictures and more specs go to: http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/wrench.html

------------------
It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels he is worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great
God who made him.

August 14, 1862 Abraham Lincon

Well, isn't there someone else out there who has a spyderench that can validate, or dispute my opinion, or am I just so right on that nobody feels likie it is worthwhile to comment?

Perhaps if you post this in the Spyderco forum it would get more responses.

------------------
Roger Blake

Nice to know that the wrench needs some modifications. I have waited for some time to read about users experiences with this tool. I'll wait for some other comments before I decide if this is for me.

How large nuts are that wrench and slip joint pliars able to handle?

Is it possible use other screw bits with that screwdriver?

[This message has been edited by Tommi (edited 03-28-2000).]

If you click my link in my orginal post, it will bring you several pictures, as well as the specs. If you can't open the page, please let me know because there are other sites that describe it.

------------------
It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels he is worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

August 14, 1862 Abraham Lincon

Originally posted by Tommi:

How large nuts are that wrench and slip joint pliars able to handle?

Is it possible use other screw bits with that screwdriver?

i bought the spyder wrench and its adjustable wrench is able to open up to 20mm,and yes it can accept other tool bits if you would like to have other tool bits than what is provided
however i would still prefer the new LEATHERMAN CRUNCH as its design is much more compact...you can access all functions of the crunch with just one hand another good choice would be the SOG TOOL CLIP..however the SOG has less functions than the leatherman...the choice is yours..

Back