1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

My Delica (VG-10) went for a Swim

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Scott Free, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Scott Free

Scott Free

Sep 15, 1999
    I just started using a Spyderco Delica in VG-10 when I'm going to be around water or when canoeing. I don't need something in Spyderco's Salt series as it's unlikely the knife will get wet more than once every couple of years. Unfortunately, that "once every couple of years" came really early within that span. Yesterday it took a dunking in the river and then was carried wet in my pocket for the rest of the afternoon.

When I got home I sprayed the insides the best I could with 91% alcohol and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours. I figured this would replace the internal water with something that was only 9% water and that the alcohol would evaporate relatively quickly. I then saturated everything I could reach with WD-40 and opened and closed it a few times. After wiping it down with a rag, I then applied a generous amount of (Militec) oil followed by several opening and closings.

Did I do the right thing? Outside of totally dismantling the knife, what you have done?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Don’t worry about it. I’d wash it with dish soap and water, dry it, lube the pivot, and chunk it back on the shelf.

The delica is a very low maintenance knife. They keep going for years and years without much care at all.

3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I would have shaken the knife off....and put a drop of oil in the pivot.

Maybe...a hair dryer or air compressor if I was really bored.

I'll never understand the fascination in taking a knife apart.

I only do so when I actually have to fix something broken.

I have folding knives going on 20+ years that I have not taken appart....even after river rafting and swimming with them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    DocT, Bastler, Skar and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Rinse it off and stick it in your pocket. Or just stick it in your pocket. No worry.

5. Centermass

Centermass Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Yeah, my Enduras were always my “probably gonna end up in the water” knives, and I live in Florida, where it’s very humid anyway. I’ve never had an issue with rust (maybe some very minor spotting that cleaned off easily) with minimal post-aquatic maintenance. I’d definitely clean em out after saltwater activity just to be sure, but they’re generally pretty easy going.

6. Scott Free

Scott Free

Sep 15, 1999
    Thanks for all the reassuring replies. I'm always one for overkill. This time apparently was no exception. Also— Seems I made the right choice for an occasional water knife.

DocT likes this.
  7. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    VG-10 is a highly used culinary steel, both by people who take care of their knives and those who abuse them.
    Exposure to water isn't a problem. People will do far worse in their kitchens.
    I'd just be concerned about drying the pivot.

Covering with oil . . . keeps out new moisture, but traps in the water that is there.

8. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I used to carry a Delica clipped to my surf shorts while beach bumming, but never when swimming.

After a few months, I took it apart and found that water was being retained between the scales and liners, and they were covered in a good bit of rust. The VG-10 also has a bit of rust speckles.

Took it all apart, had to sand the liners, then polish the blade.

Bearing in mind, it was in a sweaty and salty environment for hours at a time, and I would just fresh water rinse it and air dry.

As mentioned above, you would probably be fine giving it a good soapy wash, rinse, then blow it with air, or let it sit in the sun for a bit.

9. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    do we know photos of rusted vg10?

never seen any

10. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    compressed air is your friend. I realize that not everyone has an air compressor so grab a can of air (air duster) and keep it handy. Great for blowing out moisture and pocket lint.

11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    VG-10 is a real wonder. It holds an edge very well and it is not rust prone. I live in a tropical jungle area near the sea and a river delta. I have never had issues. If I thought I would have constant salt water contact I would buy the Salt 2 serrated edge, the rust proof Delica.