My fire kit.

troutfisher13111

Gold Member
Everyone else was posting pics of theirs so I thought I would share mine.

fire.jpg

Its not very elaborate, but it works for me. In the K&M match case are 28 waterproof matches and two strikers. The prescription bottle has about a dozen Vaseline soaked cotton balls. A small magnesium and flint bar with striker, and a bic lighter complete the kit. It all fits in the leather pouch and goes with me every time I head into the woods.

Hey Trout, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that match safe, it looks like one of the better ones I have seen. Chris

K&M Matchase

Very cool-- $19 and $4 shipping. It includes a Suunto compass in the top, double o-rings, waterproof to 2k PSI, comes in brass and anodized aluminum. DROOL :)

j1braln.jpg

Nice kit too, troutfisher!

OK, I take that back.

I have a few of the plastic ones and they work well too. The only problem I have ever had is the flat rubber gasket splitting.

Make sure you get the K&M and not a knock-off like Cabela's sells. The Silva is a another cheap imitation. The case is available in aluminum as well as brass.

Make sure you get the K&M and not a knock-off like Cabela's sells. The Silva is a another cheap imitation. The case is available in aluminum as well as brass.

Come to think of it I think mine came from Cabellas with a silva compass :grumpy:

Mabey I spoke too soon about them :)

Oh no :eek:

Guess I have to buy another piece of gear :D

The green aluminum one has promise

Nice kit but if I may offer one tip get a transparent Bic so you can keep an eye on the fluid level.

I bought one of the Cabelas compass topped matchsafes several years ago and a black dye(?) clouded the fluid in the brunton compass, making it almost unreadable for awhile. The anodizing wore off the outside, but it's still waterproof and the compass still points north. I keep fishing and sewing kit inside.

Nice kit but if I may offer one tip get a transparent Bic so you can keep an eye on the fluid level.

It seems to me that the transparent ones are far more fragile than the opaque ones. I have had them crack in a cold car or break on dropping on concrete. I have never had problems with the colored ones.

It seems to me that the transparent ones are far more fragile than the opaque ones. I have had them crack in a cold car or break on dropping on concrete. I have never had problems with the colored ones.
I concur. The clear plastic gives up some toughness for optical clarity.

In lighter (pun?) colors, you can still see the fluid level in good light. Just don't wait until after dark to check on your fuel.

Thats the same conclusion I have came too. The clear ones just seem to cheap for my liking. I am not to worried about the lighter, its only one of three fire starters in the kit.

Back