My first and last order at HI

I think sometimes what you get is just the luck of the draw. There are so many variables involved with a handmade item like this, and I think the long trip to Denmark might have had something to do with it. I guess I have been super lucky, because other than a couple of small cracks in the horn handles that haven't enlarged, and one weak frog, everything has been great. I thought about only ordering wood handles, but some of the knives just cry out for horn. Usually, but not always, I ask for the smaller lighter blades in horn and the big choppers in wood, figuring that wood would hold up better to a real pounding.

The only minor problems I have had came in the last shipment of 2 khuks I ordered. The 16.5" WWII had about 1/2 inch of rust right at the tip similar to what was shown in the posted pic above. 20 seconds on the buffer with some Emery compound and it was gone.

The other item was a loose butt cap on a 21" Gelbu Special. It was pretty obvious that the horn had just shrunk at the butt cap. I took Yvsa's advice and tried to carefully scribe a line at the cap with a triangular file, and then filled it all around with JB Quik. The hardest part was not being sloppy and getting the putty on the handle. I managed to get it smoothed in fairly well with some slopover, and the next morning it was all rock solid. I blended the brass into the horn with a file, and now plan on buffing it out. I figure I can get most of the extra hardened putty off with the buffer. Trial and error.

I can see where our friend would be upset, but were it me I would gladly take the offerered discount and fix them up and consider myself to have gotten a hell of a deal on blems. I would probably polish out the blade and use some good athletic grip tape on the handle, and you would have a great chopper at half-price, and you wouldn't have to worry about at all about the handle banging around. I can't imagine in a hard service environment that these things are going to stay very pretty for long, but that's just me and I haven't been in the military, only outdoors for extended period where things do get the worst of it...

Regards,

-Norm

Dear Brix;

I will apologize to Oliver for having generalized about his behavior outside this thread. That was wrong. I will shake his hand and meet him half way- clean slate.

However- he was not just 'naturally upset' because of what happened. He threw Bill's words up in a manner of contempt and ridicule- as if they were woefully inadequate. I stand by my observation of his behavior in this thread which never should have been created in the first place. Apparently, even after recieving Bill's responses he felt he had to express his outrage by this thread. I will not excuse him for that even though he is a soldier, and your implication that I have no right to speak because he is enlisted is elitest and innappropriate.

Oliver comes back here and apologizes for his mistakes; I will certainly apologize for mine. And when I say clean slate I mean it.

munk

sure makes me :( to see good guys get in a tangle...

It's easy to point fingers and say "he started it"....or "he continued it"

Who's gonna be the one to say "I stopped it"?

Pen, thats what I was thinking 2 pages back, didn't work though. I was rather surprised I must say.

Hey guys, ok, if I've told some things who have been interpreted like an attack to Uncle Bill, then I truly apologize. I didn't knew that the man was so sick and it's not good. I now realize that this thread does not help him in his situation and for that I apologize too.
I supose that some comments about my person or carreer were made in anger or in a kind of "protective respons" around Uncle Bill and I understand that. I will have done the same if I had the feeling that somebody pissed on a friend of me.
I want to make this clear, I still like HI's products, as I think I said I own a BAS wich is one of my favorite blades! I want to make clear that I mean NOTHING bad about Bill, and I told him how sorry I was about this situation and his sickness, and I MEAN IT.
The only reason I send those blades back to Bill is just because I don't want to profit of the situation, and not profit of his kind offer. He proposed me to keep the blades and refund them, I said I will feel better if I send him the blades back and then buy some when I come back. I didn't intend to offend him but because I respect him, I won't abuse his generosity, that's it. If I had no respect for the man I will have say :"great send me the money I keep the blades, cool deal".
That's all what I have to say, I still like Kukris knives, I still like my used BAS,and no it's not a shiny one but a well used one.And I hope to one day buy some more, I hope it will be from Bill.

A hostile thread like this is pretty unusual for this forum.

Oliver, things tend to happen for a reason. Take the discount and have a knife that has 'personality'.

You want roughed up gear for the field. Now you're not as hesitant to use and abuse the snot out of it.

I'd like to hear how it fared when you get back.

Best of luck on your deployment. Keep your head down, and watch your back, Oliver.

Guys, can we let this thread die now, PLEASE?

John

Oliver- I'm sorry I insulted you. Welcome to HI. Let's start over- my name's munk. I'm glad you thought of HI khuks when you were going to be in harm's way.

take care, and truly welcome.

munk

Thanks mate! No big deal, I've been a pain in the ass on that one too. I'm sure one day we'll drink a beer together and laugh about that. ;)
I'm happy to find a good place like the HI forum :)

Another round on me fer the friends here in the Cantina.

May all you mil-types deploy & return safe--FOG, Oli, this means you.

Keith

Well, this has been one of the most exciting days in a while.....I'm tired now think I'll go home and take a nap

Oliver- It's better always to work things out, isn't it? I hate burying problems.

So be sure and tell us how your blades are used, if you can, while on assignment.

munk

I sure will! we have acces to a pc for sending mails and I take my digit cams! Pics of BAS in action on the way ;)

Well, there's not much left to weigh in on, is there? :D

I'll look forward to pics.

Oli, mind me asking who you are deploying with? Obviously I don't mean anything you shouldn't tell me but which army and what kinda job? I know a couple of chaps just back from 'the sand box' and they had anything but an interesting time. Over here the situation is getting weird, even TA soldiers who aren't doing a UT are winding up doing guard duties and menial tasks to free up the regulars. That was the thing that stopped me from joining the Terratorials last year, they keep sending people to Iraq and don't have the time or staff for training!

Yep.

I keep thinking if the US had played ball with the UN, it'd be the blue-helmets over there now. More a job fer them than an occupuing army @ this point.

Merely an opinion. Since they keep finding pockets of resistance, perhaps not yet time for UN...

Ferrous Wheel said:
Yep.

I keep thinking if the US had played ball with the UN, it'd be the blue-helmets over there now. More a job fer them than an occupuing army @ this point.

Merely an opinion. Since they keep finding pockets of resistance, perhaps not yet time for UN...

Very true, but I cant help thinking even if the UN were there the British would have the same kind of committment and so would be just as over stretched. Ahh well, with a nation our size you have to decide whether you want to be a premier fighting force or have troops all over the world, if the defence cuts continue we can't have both!

Back