My first Boker - M-Type

Received my first Boker yesterday - CLB M-Type. Playing with it all day :)

659422e3cf9f4b0c754199470061.jpeg

b775b1c538b78a767e8e75eaa72f.jpeg

that's sweet, bro!!! "Kinda" low on funds at the moment, otherwise I'll order one a.s.a.p.

P7140002.jpg

Just received my 2008 annual Magnum, will take a pic next week when I have the time. :p

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
I've been playing with mine all morning -- got it right by my keyboard. :)

Weriously, I don't carry many knives regularly. New knives go into the rotation, perhaps to find a place in a bugout bag or the kitchen.

I carry my Sebenzas, a Spydie Military, and the M-Type, which has come to alternate with the Millie as a casual, beat-it-up knife. It's actually about the same size as the Millie, a broad-blade version of the cut-anything, indestructible folder.

Ergonomics and manufacturing quality are excellent, and the edge really holds up! No surprise that 440C beats AUS-8, although my other CLBs are also sharp.

I now have three knives on my EDC rotation - Kershaw JYD2 Sandvic+D2 composite, Cold Steel AUS8 Lawman and my new 440C M-Type :)

mmmotorcycle

Midnight Joker #42
Platinum Member
I'm glad you like it. Chad designs great blades and having handled all the newer designs I agree that they are really fit for EDC.

Chad's designs Rockk! His Trance is in with my Spyder, Emerson rotation. ;)

Molly, the EG Mak and the M Type look great together. I just gave my wife a list of three CLB knives that I want for my birthday. The man's designs function amazingly well - and the Boker knives are a real value.

This post isn't to rip on Boker, it may have a happy ending ;).

I just got one secondhand from eBay, and while it seemed essentially new, other than needing a decent sharpening and a few chips in the Ti coating - what really bugged me was the framelock.

Apparently, it is so strong that the detent is ridiculous, to the point where I cut my thumbpad trying to open it.
I think it may have something to do with the very short cutout in their framelock design (locks to about 75% when open).

And yes, I took it apart, cleaned it, then oiled it and adjusted the pivot. Only if it's almost touching the scale-side liner is opening at all bearable. If it's close to centered, it takes a HUGE amount of force to open, even using two hands. The other 5 Boker CLB knives I've had open with buttery-smoothness, while perfectly centered (except one Subcom F) and lock up VERY well.

That said, I sent an email to their C.S. in the USA, and Terry Trahan replied back the very next day. Said to send it in and they'd take care of me. Wishing hopefully, because other than the above, I really like the design - the ergos and blade are fantastic, good edge-holding too. The deep-carry (tip-down for me) clip makes it a good alternative to my Paramilitary... and that's saying something.

This post isn't to rip on Boker, it may have a happy ending ;).

I just got one secondhand from eBay, and while it seemed essentially new, other than needing a decent sharpening and a few chips in the Ti coating - what really bugged me was the framelock.

Apparently, it is so strong that the detent is ridiculous, to the point where I cut my thumbpad trying to open it.
I think it may have something to do with the very short cutout in their framelock design (locks to about 75% when open).

And yes, I took it apart, cleaned it, then oiled it and adjusted the pivot. Only if it's almost touching the scale-side liner is opening at all bearable. If it's close to centered, it takes a HUGE amount of force to open, even using two hands. The other 5 Boker CLB knives I've had open with buttery-smoothness, while perfectly centered (except one Subcom F) and lock up VERY well.

That said, I sent an email to their C.S. in the USA, and Terry Trahan replied back the very next day. Said to send it in and they'd take care of me. Wishing hopefully, because other than the above, I really like the design - the ergos and blade are fantastic, good edge-holding too. The deep-carry (tip-down for me) clip makes it a good alternative to my Paramilitary... and that's saying something.

Yo senoBDEC,

Good to see ya here bro. Um, ya got big mitts? Just the other day in Hell, two of my co-workers could NOT open the M because they were trying to flick it. However, when I told them to press the edge of the stud and then flick it, they got it. The detent is strong on these M-TYPE's...maybe yours was Super Kaduper Strong?:p

Hope all works out well. Thanks again for your kind words!!! See ya later!
God bless!!!:cool:

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted and to welcome Molly-Coddle!!!

MAHALO MUCH EVERYONE!!!

God bless!:cool:

I've got an M type plain edge/satin coming in the mail and I can't wait to get it! :thumbup:

the M-Type is one of my all time favorite's! Excellent design!!

as far as opening, I can flick mine open very easily and quickly, so much so that it resembles an AO.

Now I just gotta get a trance, hyper, Subcom FB, etc, etc, etc.., it never ends!! haha

Hey all,

Well, it's my birthday, and I opened my big scary-sharp (already cut myself) M-Type an hour or so ago. Daywalker, thanks for the tip on how properly to engage the stud - it works well. I'm sitting here working the action to give it some "wear" not and smooth everything up. This is an amazingly big heavy knife for how "small" it carries, and I'm really looking forward to getting to know it. :)

Once again, Daywalker - you're a genius! :D

cheers, erich

Erich: Gratz bro, glad you enjoy it, even the cutting-yourself part :p

Nate: thx, I'm gonna take some new pix tomorrow in the woods... if the weather allows so.

Daywalker: I hate you!!! You made me spent too much money, and gonna spend even more:D:D:D

Yo senoBDEC,

Good to see ya here bro. Um, ya got big mitts? Just the other day in Hell, two of my co-workers could NOT open the M because they were trying to flick it. However, when I told them to press the edge of the stud and then flick it, they got it. The detent is strong on these M-TYPE's...maybe yours was Super Kaduper Strong?:p

Hope all works out well. Thanks again for your kind words!!! See ya later!
God bless!!!:cool:
Heya Daywalker,

My mitts are slightly above average in size (glove size 8).
Nah, I know what you're talking about - the pressing the stud then flicking it open - I figured that out after about 5 minute or so of messing around with the M-Type, I think it might have been the detent ball was not hammered in quite enough. No, in this case it was me pressing the thumbstud as hard as I could (when centered, and capable of opening two-handed fairly easily) and then *zip* - friction bruise/cut on the pad of my thumb.

I am confident Boker will take care of me. Love all of your knives so far Daywalker, keep them coming :D.

Just a quick update, Boker USA replaced my M-type.
The new one exhibits the same fit and finish as my other CLB knives from Boker and Spyderco.
Not as easy to flick open as the Trance or Subcom F's, but has definite presence to the blade, while still being fairly thin and high-ground. Carries thin and out of the way, with a minimum of weight. Lock-up is superb. The detent is pretty close to perfect (hard to "brownie-pop" open the knife) while opening very smoothly with a small amount of pressure at 45 degrees to the thumbstud (lines up with the grooves in the G-10 scale).