my first buck 110?

Hi all - I've read so many great things about the buck 110 that I've decided to purchase one. As I shop prices, It appears that most people are interested and willing to pay more for the older generations of this knife.. is this simply because they are collectable, or are they made better. if the present model is made just as well Im fine with that as it will be a user, but if the older ones are built much better than i'll reconsider and pay more.. any advise or insight much appreciated

any advise or insight much appreciated

wh4f is right about the new ones, they are good, as are all of the 110s.

I personally like the "older" new ones from late 80s to mid 90s these have the full radised frames with ebony handles and 420 HC steel(which is easy to sharpen) as do the current ones. The newer handle material is a laminate and very good but the ebony has the cool factor for me:cool:. Tell us what you get. Preston

Pretty sure, Macassar Ebony I believe it's called this 110 + from 1991. Preston

...I believe they changed to Obeche wood in the 1993 model year...Before that they were all Ebony except for the "specials" or "Customs"...

Thanks, Preston & DarrylS! I probably have one...I just never realized it was Ebony...I always thought Ebony was actually black... :confused:

I probably have one...I just never realized it was Ebony...I always thought Ebony was actually black... :confused:

As many of the older 110s that you've retro-fittted I'm sure you do.

Gaboon ebony is almost black...Macassar is a dark brown and can have lighter streaks. I have grips on a 1911 that are Gaboon ebony and are black as can be.

I would buy a new one for EDC. Then all the bumps, marks, scars, and memories are yours. Like your girl
Some folks have a preference of the squared or rounded...as well as other revisions. However, I have never met a 110 I didn't like. I have felt bad for some since I'm a sensitive and caring kind of guy...but I have liked them all.

So is the wood handles from the custom shoppe solid wood or just laminates as well???

I believe that they are solid wood...the only one that I would question would be Indigo Royalwood.

You could call Buck or wait, Joe Houser, from Buck moderates here and will give you the real skinny:D. Preston

love4steel,

If your 110 is going to be a user, personally, I would get a new current model with the Edge 2X technology. IMO, there is definitely a difference in sharpness and ease of resharpening. I have been very happy with mine!

Here’s an excellent post from CJ Buck from another thread:

“You are noticing Edge 2000, or what we now refer to as Edge 2X.

In 1999 my father was disappointed in our blade sharpness and drove our engineering staff to really investigate edges...both from initial sharpness and resharpening.

What they discovered is that edge geometry had more to do with edge retention than slight changes in blade hardness. We also discovered that the harder the steel the finer aka...sharper edge it could take.

After numerous tests, working a huge team that combined fabrication/grinding changes with the edgers in assembly and they hit on a new combination of processes that gave the proper geometry to the blade and made that geometry consistent from tip along the entire edge. Edge 2000

Another aspect we focused on was resharpening. We discovered our previous methods were putting a convex edge angle, like a hump, on the knife because we were using a soft sharpening wheel. It was very sharp but for someone to resharpen on a stone they would have to work through the "hump". We changed our sharpening methods to use a hard contact wheel followed by a hard leather wheel that does not "roll" the edge and leaves the edge angle perfectly flat. Now, for resharpening, working the knife on a stone has no hump to remove and you are getting sharpening to the edge much sooner.

A long story to say I am very glad you can notice how much sharper the knives are and it is a testament to my father's focus on quality.”

I just edge pro,ed up an old one for a guy at work. and to my surprise it poped hairs without touching skin.

I bought my first buck, a 110 today! Just happened to check out a hardware store in my folk's town. All junk, except for a lonely buck 110 that had strayed from his flock :D
It is a 100th year anniversary edition. Don't now if it differs from the standard 110 except for the anniversary handle inlay. Not that I am complaining, even got a discount from the trainee seller since he was also a knife nut.

I am very pleased with my first buck, and I am sure you will be too.

I bought my first buck, a 110 today! Just happened to check out a hardware store in my folk's town. All junk, except for a lonely buck 110 that had strayed from his flock :D
It is a 100th year anniversary edition. Don't now if it differs from the standard 110 except for the anniversary handle inlay. Not that I am complaining, even got a discount from the trainee seller since he was also a knife nut.

I am very pleased with my first buck, and I am sure you will be too.

VERY COOL MKD!!!!
Great knife. Especially for your first Buck!

great info from everyone.. new question!
do all the new ones have Edge 2000? If not, how do I know which ones do?
thanks again

Back