My First Busse (N.O.-e)

SALTY

Gold Member
My "outings" have changed over the years
wink.gif
and my current quiver seems satifying with an A1, SRK, and gaggle of Chris Reeve One Pieces. I also have older Bucks in 440c here and there. In short, the above serves me well and, as those around here know, a fan of CRK.

I've seen other's Busses (Bussi?) and never really paid much attention as I was content with whatever CR One Piece happen to be with me. The curiosity bug just kept itching and a good deal on a N.O. came around (thanks John) and all of a sudden I on the horn with Andy Priscoe, hanging on the Busse Forum and figuring out if I need another. They are an impressive looking piece of equipment (the knife, as the sheath seems so-so) that I have not yet pressed into service. I'll let you know.

What's up with this blade grind? Is it a hassle to sharpen, any special tricks. I've been using a tri-angle Sharpmaker and a strop for years with acceptable results. Am I doomed now that I have a Busse? How corrosion resistant is INFI compared to the more stainless stainlesses?

No one can tell that I am excited newbie, right?

Welcome to the Compulsive Busse Acquirers group. They're like potato chips, I think most find that they just can't stop at one.

The blade grind is handy for easy, quick sharpening, and I use my Sharpmaker to strop the flat side of the grind (edge trailing, though, per Busse instructions). A leather strop (I use a $3 belt from Goodwill) on the convex side brings everything up to razor sharpness. Overall, sharpening my Busses is usually faster than other knives.

As for sheaths, there are plenty of people making them out there. I'm partial to Kydex, and Bladeforum's Normark at OnScene Tactical http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/products.htm makes some popular ones.

Welcome to the group!

cj
s002cjs@yahoo.com

Congrats on the new addiction Nim!
Don't let any of the negative hubub about sharpening get to you. Do like the factory recommends and all will be well
smile.gif

Nimrod, welcome. Congrats on your first of what I'm sure will be many Busse. Just follow the sharpening instructions that came with your Busse and you'll be fine. You'll find that INFI has a very high corrosion resistance. Also, check out Eric at On/Scene Tactical for a concelex sheath.
biggrin.gif

Andrew

Thanks guys for the replies and advice. Roger that on Eric's sheaths, I have purchased from him for other knives and have been very stisfied.

Though my N.O. was like new, there were no sharpening instructions. In fact, there was no box. Anybody have the sharpening instructions or should I contact Busse?

Go to Bussecombat.com and there you will find a short film showing the correct manner to do it.

Strabs, Roger that on the short film. Looks like you simply backstroke (strop) the left edge of the blade and either do nothing or remove the burr by stropping the right or convex edge.

How often do these blades really need field attention to stay keen. Unless you are doing alot of digging around rocks or have starikes against something hard while chopping you should not have to do much based upon my experience with A2. INFI is supposed to be ahead of A2 so I'm thinking just some TLC back at the ranch and nothing for short duration field jaunts.

Congrats on the acquisition of the knife;my sympathy [or rather, empathy] on the acquisition of the knife knut virus
smile.gif

I really like the assymetrical grind. It cuts/chops very well, the short side seems to buttress the longer side, and at least with infi it holds up very well. Not everyone gets good results sharpening it the way Busse suggests but try that method first before you try the conventiuonal way.
The NO is a real beauty. My preference is for custom knives, but this and the Steelheart II are now my main carries out on the land/in the woods, although I still stick with my talonites for smaller duty/neck knife and around salt water especially.
The infi seems to be pretty corrosion resistant. Spots will form but can easily be cleaned off. I won't have a better idea of how it fares under hard use near sweet and salt water for a few months, because I ain't doi' any serious trips for that long, but as far as I'm concerned, no strainless steel is really adequately corrosion resistant for hard use around salt water and I wouldn't expect the uncoated surfaces of the Busse to fare much better. Hence the talonite or, before that, titanium.
But unless you really can't clean the knife in reasonable time, like diving or kayaking for extended periods on the ocean, the Busses should be fine.
Finally, ya I didn't like the sheath much either. I got a Rowe triposition sheath from Andy for my SH II and I think it comes in NO size as well. Great sheath! And Andy is absolutely great to deal with. He can suggest and get for you more than one kind of leather sheath. I got a Rowe slim hiride/IWB sheath from Andy for my NO. Very slick and fits perfectly.
If you like concealex and have a peace deal with the cows, I don't know what Andy has on hand but you could also try Normark who specializes in that stuff and who has a great reputation too.

Back