My first GEC!

Just got my first GEC today! A GEC #73 Scout with 440C blades and goldenrod paper micarta handles. I ordered it from Spaceport Cutlery, and kudos to them. They checked through their stock of this particular model to find one with pretty beefy, but not nail tearing, backsprings. They even remembered me from my first inquiry about a month ago and included a nice hand written note with the knife saying I was really going to enjoy this one.

The fit and finish is absolutely amazing. The knife is built like a tank and the build quality makes the word "Teutonic" jump to mind. The blades are interesting in that they're finished to a mirror polish, but there is a tiny bit of undulation on the sides of the blades that makes me think of old plate glass windows (you can bearly see it in the photo I've included). The skinner blade is sharp, nothing spectacular, but sharp. The spey I'll want to take to the stone for a few swipes to finish it off.

The spring tension is perfect for me - very firm, but not punishing to open. The blade ramps and spring ends are a sea of perfect right angles. Very sharp snaps to both blades, unlike anything I've experienced. The micarta (my first knife with this material) has depth that doesn't show in pictures and has a nice warmth and smoothness that transitions perfectly to the bolsters. The one flaw, and I kind of like it (kind of how Japanese artists will intentionally insert a flaw into their art work) is that the shield is not perfectly fitted in the handle, there's a bit more gap on one side of it than the other, yet still it is flush to the handle.

This is about as large a knife as I would want to EDC and pretty much maxes out my watch pocket, although back pocket carry may be a viable option. I plan on taking this knife into the woods with me alot.

First impression is that this is an excellent knife with incredible fit and finish. I plan on buying more from these guys. These seem to be the big new thing on this forum -maybe someone should try to convince someone to make a forum knife!

IMG_0748.jpg

Nice knife, man! I have one just like it, and I love it. I have 5 of the Scout models now, and hope to pick up a few more- they're amazing knives. I've yet to come across a GEC that didn't totally blow me away. Who knows how many you'll end up with?

Great score!

Great choice! Definitely next on my list...;)

That's nice. I've been considering getting one and I think you may have just pushed me over the edge!

That's nice. I've been considering getting one and I think you may have just pushed me over the edge!

Muwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I can't stop holding and looking at this thing. Most amazing part is how the half-stops, spring ends, and bolster end are all pretty much flush when the thing is closed. I'd post a pic, but the wife took the camera to NYC for girlie birthday party stuff for my daughter.

Oh, by the way, I mis-gauged the sharpness of those blades. I stropped the blades repeatedly last night on the leg of my jeans while watching TV. These things are pretty much razors now.

Back