My first Gransfors Bruks

I received my first Gransfors Bruks ax yesterday it is a Scandinavian forest ax and I am pretty impressed by it so far. I own many other axes including 4 Wetterlings, 2 Snow and Neallys, an Oxhead, some old Collins and Norlunds plus a few old un marked ones. Out of the axes that I have perchased new the GB came with the best most evenly ground edge. When I checked its hardness with a file I found it to be similar in hardness to my old Norlunds and Collins and also my wetterlings. It is a little harder than the Snow and Neallys I have worked with. The handle is awesome and the head is hung well the ax feels awesome to swing.

The real test came this morning, we had heavy freezing rain last night and about 200,000 people in my area are with out power so I figured I may have a hard time getting to work. On my way out the door I grabed my GB and oxhead felling ax. I wound up using them to clear a 8+ inch white pine that fell and was blocking the road, and the GB did a very nice job, and felt very fluid to use. Unfortunatly work had no power so I came home and wound up clearing Pine limbs from my yard with the gb. I tested it against my Snow and Neally 24" hudson bay ax that I have re ground and polished and I found that they preformed almost equaly, and I honestly cant say if one was any better than the other. Over all I am verry happy with the Gb and I am going to use it as my primary woods ax this winter. Joe

camo kid - congrats on the GB. I am glad you posted this because I am really considering getting the same GB before the camping season starts for me in early spring. Thanks for the feedback, and comparison to S&N axes.

Mrappraisit, I am glad that may of helped you. The S&N hudson bay ax has been with me for a while now and been a great tool for the woods. The S&N has a slightly thicker bit, and I did spend probably 1 1/2 or 2 hours to sand the handle oil it and reprofile the edge, but the work was really worth it. joe

I really like the Scandinavian forest ax. I've cut down a couple of trees with mine, tracks well and is a pleasure to use. I also have the GB double bitted felling axe which I haven't used yet.

Thanks!

This mini review helps me as well bc I am getting a S&N Hudson Bay as a Christmas gift (I got lucky and got to choose one).

I expect to have to tweak all axes when new but your words of only taking a couple of hours to correct the handle and reprofile the head are encouraging. I am also pleased that you mentioned that your improved S&N was not outclassed by the GB.

Back