My first home polish job.

Hi all,
I wanted to post pictures of some polishing I did to restore and beautify some Busse knives I picked up from Onewhobuys. See if I can't post the pics here.

PS I polished the handles too. It's the bead blasted one in the little square. Haven't decided what i'm gonna do with the coated one. I might get rid of it.

Attachments

• badgeroverlap.jpg
    badgeroverlap.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 242
That older coating came off with a razor blade some elbow grease.

Attachments

• bbsh2overlap.jpg
    bbsh2overlap.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 229
pretty nice Duo. I think the only two knives a man needs.

Attachments

• ba+bm1.jpg
    ba+bm1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 225
If you have to "get rid of" the coated one, you could make it a charitable donation to an inpoverished social worker. I happen to know one....

Nice knives.
Ed T

Very, very nice man.

Those two paired up are about the ultimate tool box.

I'm still partial to my SHSH though. I may have to strip it though.

Man that finish has a great look.

looks nice and i'm sure it was a lot of work. wore me out when i did my shsh. nice pair you got! :D

I did all that by hand so that I wouldn't heat up the blade. I ain't got no polishing wheel. So you can forget me going pro. I enjoyed it though. One more lesson in my road to becoming a maker. I can make handles, sheaths, and polish steel. Now all I gotta do is make a knife... Yikes I gotta ways to go.

Andrew,
For the bead blasted Badger I started with the automotive type sand paper with the adhesive back. Cut it into little squares and stuck one to the end of my index finger. And Then started across the blade spine to edge. I once remember Jerry telling me that's the way the grind marks go so that's it's dominant grain. And portions of the steel that lacked behind got more pressure. I did that for about 3 hours before the blade had a good rough polish. Then I mixed my own polishing compund with Flitz as a base with some other more abrasive compunds and caked it on the steel. I let it dry a bit so that the particals could set in and the paste could lose some of it lubrication so that it would cause more abrasivness. Then I took the hour road of rubbing it in. Everytime a cloth would turn that rainbow black color I'd switch it out. Once that was done I used just plain Flitz to make the final shine even. Washed the knife off, oiled it, and sheathed it. Not ready to take on that crinkle coat though. Yikes. My girlfriend wants me to polish her E series Battle Mistress and I'm not liking the looks of it. If I do I'll post the mod.

Back