My first khukri

I'm pondering my first khukuri purchase (from you, of course), and right now I'm leaning towards one of your Ang Kholas. One of the big reasons I'm thinking about the AK is the durability ... this way, I can use it to chop most things without having to worry about abusing it.

The only difference between your various AKs are the lengths, detailing, and price, right? Due to the detailing, I'm thinking about either the Garud or the silver-mounted one, but I'm not sure how hard the silver would be to maintain. Any ideas? Also, right now I'm in a very humid environment, would the wood or horn hold up better? (I'm guessing the horn would, but I'm not sure).

Thanks for the help!

I have been buying & using Khukuris from Uncle Bill for at least 10 years. Can't remember exactly how long. The biggest consideration to choosing one is to decide what you are going to do with it; i.e. will it be used close to the house for heavy or light clean-up, will it spend most of its' time hung on the wall, will you carry it while hunting, fishing, or hiking? I like the Ang Kolas, but they are bigger & heavier than a lot of the other styles. The 12" to 16" Sirupatis are light weight & quick in use. The military's in that size are a little heavier I have found, but are a little more of an all-around knife; cut good, balance good, & are not to heavy on your belt. The Ang Kola is heavy when you get up in the 17-18" knives, but I can generally limb a tree, split kindling, or take down a 3-6" tree as fast, & sometimes faster, than with an axe & it is a whole lot easier on my shoulder, elbow & wrist. I've got a 16" military that I got from Bill years ago that I've abused pretty bad at times & she still goes with me just about everywhere I go. A few years ago, a feller went off the road out where i work (sorta in the boonies) in a 2WD truck. It was so cold that nobody could get their chainsaws to run long enough to cut some pine tops & etc. to get under the tires for traction. Anyway, the trees were frozen. I took the military in the woods & took down three trees about 3-4" at the butt, limbed them, & threw the limbs under the back tires & we got him out. Everybody bet me that I would ruin the Khukuri in the frozen wood. There were only three fellers to bet with so I only made $30. She'll take a shaving edge & go all day. The ice in the pines didn't even turn the edge. Talk to Uncle Bill. His advice is to be trusted 100%. Whatever he suggests as your first one would be the best way to go. I tried several other brands of kuk's & all were worthless. I called him up in Slidell, Louisiana & asked him what he recommended. He said he would send me one to try & if I didn't like it to send it back.....didn't know me from nothing. Mail man delivered, I went to work with it & everytime I get the itch for another one, I let him tell me what he thinks as to what I need. Uncle Bill ain't been wrong yet. Have yerself a gud 'un, DKP

I'd also consider one of the blems or one of Uncle Bill's Deal of the Day (UBDOTD) or PGA (Pala's Give Aways) and using it hard. As for horn or wood, hard to say...maintenance is a factor, but if regularly maintained, don't think handle material is critical, provided it is good quality.

Welcome to the Cantina!

"the only difference....."

and the individual who made the khuk, and how the blade speaks to you,
and how you speak to it.

It's not really ownership, it's a relationship.

Kis
:rolleyes:

Good to see you here after all these years, Don.

Not sure but I think Don is somewhere in my first 100 customer list and one of the good guys -- because he sends me some homemade brew every now and then!!!!!!!!

Well, I'd use it mostly around the house for misc. cutting, but I'd like one that I could take camping as well. You mention the Sirupati, how much abuse can it take? Apothecary, thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to watch out for them.

If you are like the rest of us you will some time or other get more khuks. I asked Uncle Bill and the 15 inch AK was recommended. That is what I ordered. I haven't been sorry a day since I took his advise. Some of the lighter knives are not suitable for heavy chopping and, the heaviest are a bit much to be carrying around all day. There are a bunch of very good knives from which to choose a working knife, The 18 and 20" siraputi's ar very good workers. Also the Military knives are built to be work horses and I have one of all three. Believe me they are just what Uncle Bill says they are. The 15" BAS is a very good all around knife. I have used it a lot. I used an 18" Sirupati one heck of a lot and, I will have to replace it soon. I miss it pretty bad. You have looked over the sale site so you know what is there and Uncle Bill's word on the adds are right as rain. Have fun picking one for the first.

Enjoy the forum. There are some mighty fine folks on this one.:) :)

My first Khukuri with the wood scales is at the post office waiting on me. All of mine up til now have had the horn handles. I have never had a problem. I've used them in the heat, & the cold, & they never given me any reason to complain. My only problem, if there is one, is the fact that I have a pretty fair sized hand, so I have to do a little work on some of them to round off the points to prevent their digging in my hand. I don't wear a glove on my kuk hand. Years ago, Uncle Bill told me not to worry about a glove; that water buffalo horn will stick to your hand like glue. As usual, Uncle Bill was right. The whole trick is to learn to hold the knife sorta loosely & snap your wrist at the last second when the sweet spot is almost ready to make contact. This is a great technique when you aren't trying to cut through really big stuff in a hurry. On the bigger stuff, I tighten up a little bit & let the snap come from my elbow. Another neat trick with a kuk is to take a 'go-devil' or wooden mallet/hammer/ or etc. when you are dressing fish or game. Lay cutting edge where(sweet spot) where you want the cut made, & whack the back of the blade with the wooden 'mallet.' Don't do that with some of Bill's competitors' knives though; I've seen the spinal column of some big catfish take a chunk out of their blades!! I don't guess it shows that I really like these HI khukuris; AK's, Military's, Sirupati's & etc. & I have never gotten a bad one. The Sirupatis of the 12" to 15" size are neat to stick through your belt, in the small of your back, in the sheath of course. I work rotating swing-shift & normally have one somewhere on or around me close on evening & midnight shifts, since most of the time I am working alone. If nothing else, its' a great way to cut up my sandwich & tomatoes!!!!!!!! Have a good 'un, DKP

Welcome to the cantina!

I asked a very similar question a few days ago.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218059

The response to this question was just plain wonderful. Based on the advice given, as well as a sudden opportunity ;) , I was able to make a very good, informed choice. Everyone in this corner of bladeforums is extremely helpful and nice, albeit a little deranged at times. :p

Hope this helps you too.

Phil

Welcome to the Cantina!!!

I'm pushin' 50 H.I. khukuris I think and I have almost every model and I always grab a 15 inch AK! I feel the 15 inch Ang Khola is the best of all worlds. Easy to carry and heavy enough for anything! I also would stay away from a "fancy" khuk with silver fittings as it would not hold up as well as the brass. If Uncle Bill has one go with steel fittings for a working khukuri if you can! I love the steel fittings but brass holds up just fine! Have fun with it and enjoy the forum!;)

Back