1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My first Sog finally.

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by kyhunt, Dec 13, 2015.

1. kyhunt

kyhunt

Mar 20, 2007
    Well I've looked at Sogs for years but for whatever reason always ended up buying something else. Well as you may realize from my other post I was looking into buying a Sog Tech bowie. I was asking around on another forum I visit opinions of Sogs when one of the members said he had a Seal Pup for me so I could decide myself my opinions of Sogs.

Well I wasn't really looking to get a Seal Pup but since they guy was giving it to me I figure why not try it. (Yes he gave it to me). Well it arrived yesterday. I must say I'm looking forward to put tis little guy to work to see what I think of it. I was also surprised as I thought the Pups were all made in Taiwan. Nothing against Taiwan I just wasn't expecting to see Seki on the tang.

Anyway here is a quick snap shot of it. I put it on the survival book just for fun.:D

[​IMG]

2. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Very nice. Which logo does it have on the blade? The square box or "SOG" with the knife blade cutting a bullet?

3. kyhunt

kyhunt

Mar 20, 2007
    Blade says SOG with knife cutting a bullet. I honestly didn't realize there was a difference.

4. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The SOG Seal Pup was made alongside the larger Seal2000 by the Kinryu factory owned by the Suzuki family in Seki Japan starting in 1995. The same factory still makes the Cold Steel SRKs today. Starting in 1995 it can be found with at least 3 nylon sheaths and the later ones were kydex. The very last Kydex sheath had a "line cutter" groove in the sheath on the blade side. The box logo indicates that the knife is pre-2005. In 2006 SOG started switching production from Seki Japan to Taiwan, and for a year or two there were Seal Pups made in both Seki and Taiwan and they both had the newer bullet cutting logo. A bullet cutting logo on a Seki knife indicates that it was one of the last Japanese runs.
    The Seal Pup may well be one of, if not the, most popular SOG knife, very strong and suited to hard use on a military level, but not as large as the Seal2000. In it's reduced blade length, the "combat bowie" blade design lends itself to functioning as a general utility knife and even a hunting knife with it's belly. Like the Seal2000 it is Aus6 and very resistant to corrosion. Although never an issue knife it has been and continues to be used widely by military personnel and the Seal Pup along with the Seal2000 are in the knife display at the US Navy SEALS Museum.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    And what sheath did it come with? What do you intend to do with it? Very generous of that person! I've got two pups, both Taiwan. The Plain Edge Elite I EDC a couple times a week.

6. defiant-1

defiant-1

Sep 26, 2011
    Congrats on your first SOG knife.

There's no cure for the SOG Knives disease once you catch the collecting bug. :)

Regards,
    d-1

7. kyhunt

kyhunt

Mar 20, 2007
    KenHash,, thanks for the history lesson on the knife.

Craytab, it came with a nylon sheath that had a pouch on the front that looks like it was made for a stone. I had every intention of using it but not sure now if I should. It came with no box. It doesn't look to me like its been used. I'll try to get some better pictures this week.

defiant-1, can imagine that it could be addictive, I've looked at them for at least 10 years but never pulled the trigger on one. For the most part I've always been into more traditional fixed blades but the Sogs always looked good to me. The renewed interested actually started after seeing a Tech-bowie at a major sporting good store.

8. dax0007

dax0007

Jan 1, 2010
    If you get deep into SOGS, you might want to learn abou the GOLDEN ERA of SOGS back when they knives were made by Hattori.. Only reason
    i bring this up is that they are less exspensive TODAY then that have been in 10 years... They are still pricey, but having a good eye for them in a fleamarket, gunshow, ebay, pawnshop could
    get u a good score..

You never know sometimes PAWNSHOP get this stuff in and they think its a 100$ knife when its actually 300-600 knife.. fun to score something like that..
    SOG s1, s2, nite tech, tigersharks.. I usually find 1 or 2 a year like this..

Enjoy