1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

my first spyderco, and some legal questions

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by msqrd, May 2, 2000.

1. msqrd

msqrd

May 2, 2000
    Just got my first Spyderco, an Endura C10 SBK and I love it. My old main carry, a coast utility type is a bit jealous even.

My one concern is if this is a legal concealed carry in California. The figure 3.5" used to go around as the legal limit here, but i just read the penal code, and couldn't find any reference to blade length. I am not a lawyer and could have easily missed something, but it appears that all folders are legal to carry concealed here.

If someone could let me know for sure that would be great. I'll still prolly end up carry regardless, but it would be great to know where i stand.

-- msqrd

2. Blades

Blades

Oct 5, 1998
    Just wanted to say "Welcome" to the forums!! We have a few bladeforum members who live in California and I'm sure they will let us know the law. [​IMG]
    Hope ya enjoy the forums!!

Blades

3. Ewok

Ewok

Jul 28, 1999
  4. Allerian

Allerian

Apr 24, 2000
    I've had a hard time getting anyone here in WI to tell me the "for sure" legal knife limits.

5. cerulean

cerulean

May 26, 1999
    Yeah, welcome to the forums!

Ewok is right: there is no blade length limit on folding knives in California (thankyou, AKTI). Some cities have different laws though, so you might want to check that out.

Here's a listing of state knife laws from Bernard Levine's great site... http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm#A-H

6. James Mattis

James Mattis

Oct 3, 1998
    My best effort to compile stuff on California knifelaw is at http://www.chaicutlery.com/knifelaw.html

Sub-2" limit on switchblades.

Outside schools and "public buildings" there's nothing in the CA Penal Code about the blade length of a conventional folder, including thumb-push one-handers.

Conversely, there is no "safe harbor" blade length for a single-edged fixed blade carried discretely on your person here. A 6" Cold Steel Vaquero Grande in its folded condition is not a "dirk or dagger." A 3" bird & trout knife is.

------------------
    - JKM
    www.chaicutlery.com
    AKTI Member # SA00001

7. Roger Blake

Roger Blake

Oct 11, 1998
    In any Federal Building or property there is a 2 1/2" limit on pocket knives.

------------------
    Roger Blake