My first trapper..

StuntDouble

Gold Member
I was in Ace Hardware today picking up a Vic Cadet for someone at work, when I noticed the Case folders in the case. After looking at them for a bit, I finally decided on an Old Red Bone Trapper. I was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish. The only let down was the edge was kind of obtuse and rough, but I'm fixing that now. About the only other thing I could complain about is that it's stainless, instead of CV, but that's a minor complaint. All in all, I'm really happy with the purchase. I'm sure this one is going to see a lot of use.

I have many slipjoints and enjoy many different patterns, but to me, "pocketknife" always brings to mind a trapper, cause that's what my dad carried. A stag handled case trapper. I never hit the woods or the hunting camp without one in pocket.

The more I handle it, the more the Trapper grows on me. Thankfully the bevels were just about right, I just have to clean and polish them up a bit. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to carry it in my pocket or in a sheath.

Chris,

Message coming your way. Sorry about that blues, thanks for the correction.

Durbin

Please keep all trade discussion to private messages, email, the "slippie swap meet" or appropriate venues of bladeforums. Thanks.

I like Trappers too.
I've got 4 Case trappers, one in ss and the rest are cv

You have to try the Mini Trapper next :thumbup: great EDC.

Oops, I amended my post too. Sorry about that Blues.

Durbin, I can't get private messages, but feel free to email me. It's, in case it's not showing up in my profile.

jackknife,

I'm definitely thinking I'd like a mini trapper even more. I think I might actually pick up the peanut they had there too. You guys are right, it's an addiction.

Last edited:
When I'm hunting, I carry a trapper, and a case mini trapper is my town knife. I carry it the most.

Look at the older case mini trappers - they have a clip blade and a shorter pen blade. Those are the ones I like. I don't like the new ones with the full spey as much. I pretty much only use a spey for skinning or cutting meat, etc.

I finally decided on an Old Red Bone Trapper. ... About the only other thing I could complain about is that it's stainless, instead of CV, but that's a minor complaint.

There's some inherent risk buying online, not being able to hand inspect the knife for yourself before purchase - but if you're ok with that risk, here are some CV trappers that Case makes:

CV trapper with amber bone handles

CV mini trapper with red bone handles

CV trapper with red bone handles

CV mini trapper with yellow handles

CV trapper with yellow handles

I don't have any of these ...... yet. But I just made a swap with a fellow here on the forums and will be getting a 2007 yellow CV trapper from him soon. Can't wait! :)

I'm pretty much addicted to trappers. My favorite case pattern is the large saddlehorn with the big wide spey blade.

I'm sure this one is going to see a lot of use.

Poor guy...now you will not be able to stop. Next a Red CV, then a yellowhandle CV, then mini trappers, then........you get the idea. All the money is good as gone now!:D

When I'm hunting, I carry a trapper, and a case mini trapper is my town knife. I carry it the most.

Look at the older case mini trappers - they have a clip blade and a shorter pen blade. Those are the ones I like. I don't like the new ones with the full spey as much. I pretty much only use a spey for skinning or cutting meat, etc.

I've got two mini trappers, one is the standard with a spey the other has a wharncliffe second blade. I like them both.

47b7ce20b3127ccebd450d6653ac00000026100Abs3Ldw5bt2Lg

The mini trapper is great for urban EDC I think.

Trappers are GREAT! Get a CASE CV, It is a "cuttin' fool". Gets extremely sharp and will cut you to the bone if you make a mistake.

I'm quite surprised at how sharp I was able to get the blades after everything I've heard about Case's Trusharp. If the CV is supposed to get even sharper, then I definitely look forward to picking up a Case that uses it. By the way, here's a photo of the Trapper.
image0-3.jpg
[/IMG]

I agree with Chris on the True Sharp. My first traditional (modern era) was a Case Pocket Worn mini-Trapper, small version of Chris'. This knife sharpens very well. I also have Sodbuster, TS, and once I got it sharpened, it has been agreat performer. I now have several carbon traditionals but to tell you the truth the TS(once sharpened) has been a great performer. Besides I have found I like Boker's carbon steel better than my Case CV. Seems to get sharper.

Back