My fix for a noisy, gritty, scratchy, squeaky, or rough ball detent

A little backstory first... :) (Skip to the fourth paragraph if you're in a hurry.)
Because of some ignorant mistakes, I ended up being forced to replace the ball detent in my Strider SnG. Originally, it was a hardened steel bearing that I happened to ruin the heat-treat of. So I decided to replace the little 2mm steel bearing with a "better" silicon nitride ceramic bearing. After ordering the wrong size because I guessed at the size, I finally got the proper bearing and pressed it into the lockbar.

The point of that story is that I'm particularly referring to ceramic ball detents and I'm unsure if this method works with hardened steel ball bearings.

After searching through many threads about gritty, noisy detents I found no solution. Most threads said to lubricate the detent, which only worked for ~20 openings, then it would be gritty again. If you've never experienced this, you are lucky. It was baffling how grabby and suprisingly noisy the detent would get.

So, onto the solution... After angrily giving up on lubrication I left the knife dry (no lubrication) for over a month. A long, squeaky, gritty, annoying month. A few weeks ago I decided to see if it had broke in or perhaps became irreparably rough. :( One small dab of Finish Line Extreme Fluoro grease and it has been perfectly smooth for weeks. One application and it has been smooth for weeks. Awesome. :D

I doubt the type of lubricant matters. I'm guessing that the ceramic needed to wear into the hardened steel blade without lubrication. I tried keeping the detent well-lubricated for months but it needed constant lubrication otherwise it would get rough again. I feared that the unlubricated detent ball would gall the blade steel and make it even rougher but everything seems to have worked out. Yay. :)

I hope this helps someone. These small details can be extremely annoying, especially in an expensive, high-end knife.

Perhaps some roaming tribologist can add something intelligent to this thread. ;)

My fix for a thread about maintenance (discussion on sharpeners, rust prevention, alteration & more) found in the General Knife Discussion is to move it to Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment.

My fix for a thread about maintenance (discussion on sharpeners, rust prevention, alteration & more) found in the General Knife Discussion is to move it to Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment.

Thanks Esav. I wasn't sure where it belonged.

Is the fluro grease the same as krytox?

I have a new sng that has a lockbar that is very difficult to disengage. At times it would be near impossible to remove with one hand. And when it disengages, you can hear metals rubbing one another. Krytox didn't help. Really annoying for a $400 folder.
Never had this problem with an XM18.

Is the fluro grease the same as krytox?

I have a new sng that has a lockbar that is very difficult to disengage. At times it would be near impossible to remove with one hand. And when it disengages, you can hear metals rubbing one another. Krytox didn't help. Really annoying for a $400 folder.
Never had this problem with an XM18.

Yeah, the Extreme Fluoro grease is Krytox.
To fix lock stickyness use an alcohol/acetone soaked Q-tip to clean the lock tang. Then slide a piece of paper between the lock tang and lock then let it lock-up. Keep doing that until the paper comes out clean. Once you have tried both these cleaning methods, if the lock is still sticking, either rub some pencil or permanent marker on the lock tang at the point where the lock makes contact. You might also give the knife some time to break-in if it is brand-new.

For those who find this thread because of gritty detent problems I should add that in the 3 months since I wore-in the detent I have only applied lubricant twice and the detent is still free of grittyness. Seems like all is good.

I had a similar problem when I replaced a misshaped detent ball with a new metal one - horrible gritty grinding despite any/all lubrication - eventually with sheer repetition it just wore itself a smooth path on the blade and now works fine!

Great post! Gritty detents are the bane of many good frame locks. My next project is to try to install an HRD style detent into a production frame lock :eek: I've thought about those high sphericity silicon nitride bearings, I'm glad you had a good experience.

I saw a maker that did something to prematurely wear a smooth path. He coated the detent ball with lapping compound and cycled it a few times. That quickly wore in a smooth path for the detent :)

There is also some horizontal movement in my thumb lug. I can't figure out how Stride out that in and how to secure the lug.

Thanks for all the advice on gritty release.

Back