My idea for a custom folding Sharpfinger style knife

Let me make this brief. I'm a new user of this site and I'm here because I'm a huge fan of knives in general. I have one of my own but its just an Mtech folding gut knife that I got for 15 bucks a couple years ago from a pawn shop.
(MT-A073)

I liked this knife for its looks and utility, not its quality. It is old, heavy, and I have recently come across another favorite design. The traditional sharpfinger style knife (swept back, thin blade) is great but my problem is that it is a fixed blade and I can't get away with using one as an everyday carry. (I prefer things in my pocket where nobody can see them.)

So, I had the insanely genius idea to merge the two and create (as far as I know) the very first folding sharpfinger! Only problem is, I'm an average Texan and I don't have the expensive machining tools needed to make a high quality knife and I was wondering if anyone on here had some advice on how I could achieve this goal. Keep in mind I have a budget of around 50 USD.

Last edited:
First of all I want to warn you that you may want to remove that link before you get in trouble for deal spotting to a non supporting dealer.

Now for the knife, this is probably as close as you'll get
https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/case/images/CA63724n.jpg
Thank you for the advice!
I was actually thinking about maybe trying to make one myself by buying multiple knives and using the parts to make the building process easier.

Why not just find a folder for under 50$ that has a sharpfinger like trailing point blade? I think that is a much better solution.

For example:

Bestech Scimitar 52$ at bladehq
Bestech-Scimitar-LL-Tan-G-10-Satin-Gray-BG05C-2-BHQ-76766-jr-large.jpg

CRKT Ruger Hollow Point 42$ bladehq
CRKT-Ruger-Hollow-Point-P-R2301-BHQ-52577-jr-large.jpg

Or whatever

Why not just find a folder for under 50$ that has a sharpfinger like trailing point blade? I think that is a much better solution.
My only problem is that I've scoured the internet and no folder even comes close to the level of curve that the Sharpfinger has. One of my other favorite folder designs with an upswept blade is the Cold Steel Espada but that one easily costs over 170.

My only problem is that I've scoured the internet and no folder even comes close to the level of curve that the Sharpfinger has. One of my other favorite folder designs with an upswept blade is the Cold Steel Espada but that one easily costs over 170.

Save some money. They have medium Espadas for like 108$

I'm a real fan of the sharp finger style knife and it's such a fantastic blade design . I carry a custom one I got recently as my after work edc . I don't recall a sharp finger that folds . Too bad you couldn't just carry the fixed . Email Schrade ., they're making a sharp finger still and are coming out with new designs all the time .., tell them to make one... i'd buy it in a heartbeat

Thank you for the advice!
I was actually thinking about maybe trying to make one myself by buying multiple knives and using the parts to make the building process easier.

Check the svord peasant out.
https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/svord/images/SV160a.jpg
You can modify it's blade, make a blade from some O1 steel available online to put in its handle, or just make your own knife from scratch using this very simple very old folding knife design.

They have trailing point Svord thwitel but it is only 2.5 inches. In any colour.

svord-whittler-2-5-orange-cm-large.jpg

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys! It's nice to see a community that cares about new members.

Welcome.

First off do you want a clip point, like the Espada, or a trailing point, like the Sharpfinger? They are two different things.

Your "insanely genius idea" is a good one, and that is why it has been made many, many times already.

Spyderco and Emerson both make Persian models (as well as the Spyderco Mamba and Tighe Stick), CRKT made their Persian Folder, Benchmade makes the Bedlam, Cold Steel made the Talwar and Scmitar, etc.

There was the Browning Dirty Bird, there is the ZT 460, Boker Plus Uolcos, etc etc etc.

Just search for "trailing point folder" or "persian blade folder."

Unless you want a clip point.

I bet you could take a sharpfinger and turn it into a friction folder. Im sure you could find a tutorial somewhere

I bet you could take a sharpfinger and turn it into a friction folder. Im sure you could find a tutorial somewhere

With the right tools it wouldn't be too hard.

Really all you need is a Dremel with cut-off wheel, and a drill with carbide drill bit.

I agree. Some nice hard wood to make the handle and a steel pin to create the stop. The only problem would be getting the thing to fold up and cover the entire edge.

Buck Kalinga and Ascend have that blade shape. Ontario Apache, is vaguely similar. Might consider the Spyderco Chinook and 100 Pacer as well.

Last edited:
Hey all, I know this thread is old as dirt, but I was working on the same problem as the OP, and found the thread via search. Wanted to share what I came up with, as so far I like it a lot.

I am a huge sharpfinger fan, and haven't found an inexpensive folder for EDC that touched on the things I like about the sharpfinger. So I got a svord peasant mini, and figured out how to modify it. I've done it 2x now, and it only takes me 40 minutes to go from off the shelf to fully modified. Bench grinder, belt sander, some sharpening stuff, and 40 minutes later, it is how I want it, and shaves my arm.

It isn't exactly a sharpfinger, but it has most of the things I like about an old sharpfinger:
  • Carbon steel (svord steel is good enough. Gets sharp easy. Doesn't stay that way forever, but life is all about compromises.)
  • Curved blade, w/ a point (svord blade shape is not very useful IMO, so I changed it to be more sharpfinger like. In fact, I think the svord peasant blade shape sucks, but the sharpfinger is almost perfect). It isn't a trailing point (so it differs from the sharpfinger in that regard) but the cutting edge and point are similar in profile and functionality.
  • Great ergonomics. This is where sharpfinger, along w/ the above departs from all the affordable folders I could find. Sharpfinger allows you to control knife position just in the pinch between thumb and forefinger, to invert the knife and do the same, and to not lose track of where the sharp part is when I'm elbow deep in a deer. And you can't slip up the handle onto the blade. It is great for gutting, skinning, popping joints open, opening boxes, etc. The sharp parts and the pointy parts are intuitively where I want them all the time with the sharpfinger. The reshaped svord isn't the same knife, but it gets it pretty close and it hits the high notes. The only thing not perfect about the sharpfinger, is when I need a folding knife for EDC, as I don't want a sheath on my belt, it remains a fixed blade. This modified svord mini fixes that problem.
It's light. Cheap. Easy. Super functional. And if I wanted to geek out and use some spalted burled maple to make different scales, I could make it super fancy. Which I might do for a gift, if I come across anyone who deserves one.

The key moves:
  • Buy a svord mini.
  • Fire up the bench grinder and:
    • Grind out a place for your thumb, with a slight rise
    • Grind out a finger stop, a bit behind where the thumb rise is (hold it and see where your thumb lands)
    • Change curve of the blade for a more even upswept profile, and more of a point (easy! careful not to burn it. touch it, then dunk it, touch it then dunk it. especially near the tip).
    • Trim down the handle so its a bit less chunky.
  • Fire up a belt sander, and get the primary bevel right in the area where you reshaped the blade. Careful not to burn it. Especially the tip. Touch it. Dunk it. Touch it. Dunk it.
  • Rough out the secondary bevel. I use a chainsaw file, because that's how I am, and it is just a $20 knife...
  • Use sharpening gear to get it really sharp.
  • Done.
0GmjSw1
WH9H4Wz
d2Ns9MB

Back