My khuk comparison

I'm happy to say I now have ten big khuks in my collection. This excludes the three kagas katne. It puts me in the position of being able to compare my big khuks in order of the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction they give me. I'd like y'all to have a look at my order of preference given here below, if you please. I implore you not to view the list as a reflection on the source of my khuks. It only reflects on my personal likes and dislikes, and is a personal opinion only. It is offered here on GH Bladeforum as a thread to interest forumites and to challenge their own preferences. The list runs from best at top to worst at bottom.

18" Ang Khola: I bought this one as a blem, but fixed up the offending areas to my total satisfaction. It's got a scrolled buttcap and beautiful fit of horn to brass and brass to steel. Very impressive with its spine thickness of half an inch. The scabbard and K & C are well done. I have no hesitation in putting this beaut first on my list.

Cheetlang: A very impressive khuk, but unfortunately the fit of wood to brass buttcap leaves something to be desired. If it weren't for this, it would be first on my list. Beautifully worked K & C of respectable length, and nice unconventional scabbard. The K & C fall out every time the rig is handled. Impresses most guests.

WW I Mk I: I have a special regard for this khuk, although it is old and worn. Dated 1915. I got it as a blade only. The tang was intact, with retaining nut. I made a handle and scabbard for it. This exercise gave me a lot of satisfaction, especially as I copied the actual handle and scabbard to a "T", from pictures.

SN1 Presentation: I just HAD to have an engraved khuk, and here it is at last. Engraving done quite well. The blade has the word NEPAL stamped on it. There's a hairline crack in the horn handle, but it doesn't detract too much. If it weren't for the minute crack, it would move up at least a step. I'll try to fix the crack somehow. It also needs a K & C.

Gangawal: This is a very nice khuk with beautiful brass inlay on the sides of the blade nearest the spine. Blade is approximately SN1 size. I'll have to do some work on the scabbard and utility items; they are not complete. If it weren't for the brass inlay, it would go down one step.

SN1 Ceremonial: I like the idea that this is a service khukuri, distributed to Gurkha troops, although meant for parade purposes only. It is dated 1999, and has the word NEPAL stamped on it. That alone raises it in my esteem. But it is very plain.

16" Ang Khola: A very nice, neat uncomplicated horn-handled khuk. No flaws. Nice tight rig; nothing to complain about. But also nothing much to give it a boost with.

Indian Army: This one is not "real", but made in India to be an exact look-alike to the WW II K45. It nonetheless has a very good blade, and the wooden panna butta handle is very nice now that I have spent some hours on it. Good scabbard, with two kardas of respectable length.

Jungle Fighter: Not "real", but a tourist effort. Got it as a gift. Made in India. Good blade but unattractive horn handle. Handle is too short for comfy grip, and the brass buttcap is badly done. Good scabbard, over which I put a cotton olive drab camouflage scabbard cover, which my wife sewed for me.

16" Panawal: Received this one as a blem. Good blade, but really horrible panna butta horn handle. No scabbard, so I'll have to make one, as well as a K & C. The fit of horn to steel is really bad. The bolster is not brass, but two steel halves brazed to the tang. Yuch! Where the tang is visible all around, the steel is poorly finished. The buttcap is steel, not too bad. The two pins through the handle are not neat. Dunno what I'm going to do with this blem to improve the handle. The horn slabs must go. I might put in nice wood slabs and polish the bolster and tang edges really well.

Go well! :D :D :D

All right, here are my favorites (GH and Khukuri House blades only):

Cheetlang (GH) - I got mine as a blem. Lighter than a sirupati, and definitely more of a weapon than a tool! Engraving on mine is excellent. Buttplate fit is poor. I thought it was just mine, maybe there's a shrinkage issue with the horn handles. K&C excellent size and shape, but they both have several fold lines in the blades. I haven't bothered to see if they are superficial or not. No sparks from the Chakmak. Really cool sheath, faceted on the front, and slightly snug, which keeps the blade in place. Overall, this is my favorite.

WWII (GH) - Excellent weight and balance. It fit's right in between my Cheetland and my 16" Panawal as far as effort per swing. Fit and finish are very good. I bought this one direct from Craig, and I'm very happy with it. K&C had the typical gring marks, but handles polished up fine. I'm still working on the blades. No sparks from the Chakmak :( Sheath is slightly snug as with the Cheetlang. Tied for 2nd favorite.

Mini-jungle (KH) - Rosewood handle. Engraving is pretty spotty on this one, otherwise blade finish good. The balance of this knife is exceptional, and the handle is fullsize. An excellent user, though, and one of my favorites, since it came to me direct from Nepal. I'll need to get a GH version from Craig to have a second for comparison. Tied for 2nd favorite.

16" Panawal (KH) - The weigh makes me glad I didn't get the 18"! A solid working knife. This one has a gap in the bolster (shouldn't affect it's usability), and some of the brazing ran into the sword of shiva. Otherwise the fit and finish are very good. Very nice rosewood handles. K&C are typically rough. I haven't checked the hardness of the Karda, but the Chakmak won't strike sparks :(

Biltong (GH) - Well, see my comments in the thread titled "Biltong". These are neat! Everyone needs at least one!

Patrick

Hey there, Patrick. I have a MJ that sounds just like yours, and I use it a every time #2 and I go chuckin'. The boys' all have the smaller handle style, and while they're very good, the full size handle suits me best. Neat that you got one of these, too.

Johan, do I detect yet another project in the wind with your blem Panawal? Sounds like a challenge, and I think you're up to it, bud. No matter how ugly it looks, you'll come out ahead with it. You might consider wire brushing the inside of the steel bolster and applying some kind of rust inhibiting paint along the way. Not that you don't have anything better to occupy your time at the moment, of course!

Dan

Thanks for your list, Patrick! Makes interesting reading.

Dan, I used the panawal from nine o'clock Saturday morning straight up till 12 noon, chopping half-dried-out weeping mulberry branches up to three inches thick. The panawal performed very well indeed and did not cause even one blister on my hand, though I'm pooped from the exercise, but the horn slabs have acquired a play of about an eighth of an inch. You can now see a thick band of light on both sides of the exposed tang. I'm planning to turn a pair of whatchamicalits (shouldered and threaded washers with screw-in pins) to replace the existing dog-tired pins with.

Thanks for your list, Patrick! Makes interesting reading.

Dan, I used the panawal from nine o'clock Saturday morning straight up till 12 noon, chopping half-dried-out weeping mulberry branches up to three inches thick. The panawal performed very well indeed and did not cause even one blister on my hand, though I'm pooped from the exercise, but the horn slabs have acquired a play of about an eighth of an inch. You can now see a thick band of light on both sides of the exposed tang. I'm planning to turn a pair of whatchamicalits (shouldered and threaded washers with screw-in pins) to replace the existing dog-tired pins with.

Johan, tapping the entire handle and tang together and using a threaded rod or bolt with good glue produced very satisfactory results on the 25" AK. You might dig up that old thread to get the details. I can't imagine a more rock solid way to do it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Planning to e-mail you when I get the time.

Dan (Mk 9:35)

Back