my latest additions...

I thought I'd share my two latest additions with the gang :). I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

710n55.jpg

The 55 came about a week ago and the 710 showed up today (and went right into my pocket).

710n55b.jpg

The fit and finish on both knives is superb. Zero blade play in either. The 55 is just beautiful... pictures don't do it justice. It's going to be my knife for the rare occasion that I get dressed up and can't lug around a big folder (a Buck 501 played this role before, but the 55 is much nicer looking in my opinion and the brass doesn't tarnish as quickly as the nickle silver).

The 710 is huge and built like a tank. It's my first Benchmade and I'm very happy with it. I was a little scared that it would be too big, but the only other option is the 705/707 which is a little too small. But after handling it and carrying it all day, it isn't too big. It's a heavy knife, but rides very well in the pocket. The action is a little stiff yet, but I'm sure it'll be worked smooth by tomorrow night. My thumb is a little sore from the AXIS and thumbstuds... I've been carrying Spydercos for the last six months.

My only complaint about both knives is their out of the box sharpness. Neither was overly sharp (nor were two of the previous three Bucks I've bought). Sometimes I think my idea of sharpness is a bit skewed, but then I pick up a Spyderco and it's everything I want it to be in terms of sharpness. Fortunately the edge grinds on both knives were perfect and even, so a few seconds on a ceramic stone had them both popping hair.

I know from many reviews and handing a few knives, that Benchmade's out of the box sharpness is sub-par, but I've never seen three out of four Bucks come out of the box less than shaving sharp. In the past six months, I've bought the 55, two 110s and a 301. Only the 301 was very sharp. It's good that I enjoy sharpening I guess.

Well, I'm done here, just thought I'd show off my latest toys.

Very nice.

The 710 hasn't really interested me much (though I just ordered an AFCK and want a 610), but your pics make it look very, very good. Maybe I will order one of Friday when I get paid if I have enough "fun money" left over after bills and needs.

roknroll

Banned
I just got my 710S today, and I'm sharing the exact same feelings as you about it.

Good buys.

You'll come to appreciate the 710’s design with use. Not overly snazzy looks, but a true performer.

If it remains a bit tight, try adjusting the pivot screw. I found I had to adjust the one on my 154CM 710, though it still isn’t as smooth as my M2 version.

JPD1998

Gold Member
Good Luck with both....

I got my 710 M2 last week and it's my first BM too, I'm very pleased with it. Mine was shaving sharp out of the box, maybe because it was an M2? It was probably one of the sharpest knives out of the box I ever got.

One question..... is the liner of the 710 steel or titanium? It's heavy so I assume it's steel , but I can't tell.

Anyway now I'm hooked on Benchmade knives... But I can quit any time I want.

The liner is steel.

To my knowledge, all axis knives use steel around the lock for longevity (wear) issues.

Some versions of the 710 are lighter, though. I looked at one where the holes in the liners were oval, not round. Enough difference to feel.