My latest SHIKARI find!

No back issues I'm afraid but I just wanted to highlight the description of the "Yukon Hunter Knife". It had one stainless and one carbon blade. This was news to me. I didn't know Schrade made any knives like this. Kind of cool...

No back issues I'm afraid but I just wanted to highlight the description of the "Yukon Hunter Knife". It had one stainless and one carbon blade. This was news to me. I didn't know Schrade made any knives like this. Kind of cool...

$10 each? I'll take a dozen please!

VERY cool Michael! First ad I've seen for that knife, I was unaware of the dual steels on the Yukon too:eek:

Eric

VERY cool Michael! First ad I've seen for that knife, I was unaware of the dual steels on the Yukon too:eek:

Eric

Member Joel, IIRC, found two period ads for the Shikari knives several years back and posted them. It was the key to knowing exactly who the SFO shielded and sheathed knives were made for and when. Factory records found so far do not seperate these 165's from the rest of those first years' production. And. so far, no notes have been found refering to Norm Thompson contracts. One possible reason is that they were contracted by a third party for Norm Thompson and we today do not recognize the name of the third party. It would be great to know the exact number produced and time span of the order. The retailer, Norm Thompson, has changed hands so many times since these knives were sold that I don't think they would have any "corporate memory" of them.

Here is the second ad posted by Joel from the February 1967 issue of the same magazine:

1zodjd1.jpg

I wish someone would buy a pile of backissues and finally bracket the production and promotion via the ads.

Well, I have a nice pic to post of the Yukon folder, with blade etch, etc., but this new image posting protocol makes no sense to me at all. My images are sitting on photobucket, langushing, with a tear in their eye. If anyone wants to see them, they will have to walk me through the clicks. PM requested.

I had to uncheck a box which mentioned something about "locally." In addition, I went from Firefox to Internet Explorer, but I am not sure that is necessary. At any rate, I am grateful for the provenance on this knife; I had not known why it existed or where it lay in the grand scheme of things. Thanks!

Awesome find Cal! Can't say as I've ever seen one of those with that RBS blade, VERY nice!:thumbup:

Michael, I thought you might like a little reading material, circa 1958 (predates the knife by nearly ten years):eek:

2lv1c48.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Awesome find Cal! Can't say as I've ever seen one of those with that RBS blade, VERY nice!:thumbup:

Michael, I thought you might like a little reading material, circa 1958 (predates the knife by nearly ten years):eek:

Eric

Gaaaaack! Thanks Eric! Where in the wide world of sports did you dig that up? 1958? 53 years old? And the band that I thought was pigskin is actually deerskin. Leopard skin option? I did find a hat exactly like that one on Worthpoint. The only difference that I can see between that one and mine is the two brass grommets in the brim and the thong chin strap. Wow! Just to think... the hat is nearly as old as the Codger! I do have a few years on it though, but it would have coverered my ears and eyes in 1958. But my grandpa would have loved to have worn it in 1958 when he hunted the eight point buck whose rack I still have. I'll get a picture of them together and post it since I have figured out how to use my phone camera.

Thank you Eric! You are a valuable researcher as we who hang out here already knew!

Michael

Yup. The antlers are those from the buck my grandpa killed in 1958 near Emboden, Arkansas. When I was growing up, the head mount was a feature of his home. He passed in 1963 and the mount was moved to my parent's attic. The antlers were the only salvagable part when I found the mount again in the 1980's, and using them as rattlin' horns was a natural. Yes, the leather wrap protected my hands from the burrs and "popcorn" of the main beams and gave me a way to attach the thong for carrying them. The two 165's are Shikaris and the pistol is a Ruger Security Six, my Dad's. He passed back in nineteen and eightynine and I've taken a deer or two with the pistol and skunt (Arkanese way-past tense for skinned) a pile of deer with 165's, though not the two Shikaris.

I am still practicing with my cell phone camera, as you can see.

2uq0zrp.jpg

Any body know what year the leopard skin hatband would have become an illegal import? And does anybody know why I let my son get off with my Security Six?

Blame it all on Jackie O. She wore a leopard skin coat in 1967 which started a fashion craze. Some species import bans started in 1969 and all species in the U.S. Endangered Species Act of 1973. In 1975 CITES came into force.

I don't know why you gave away your Security Six. I bet you could get it back if you tried. Then you too could wear a Shikari hat and rattle your antlers.

Well i'm down to posting from my phone since we've had no power all day thanks to Irene. Great pics!

Hope you are dry and safe and that the power is back on!

I forgot to post the info on the hat that Howie found in the Sports Illustrated 1956 issue:

THIS FALL, American field trials and bird shoots are beginning to have a bit of the flavor of the African veldt and India's plains, but salted with the spirit of the Far West. It all began when a group of big-game-hunting friends sent Norm Thompson of Portland, Ore. a bush coat made by the famous safari outfitter, Ahmed of Nairobi. Thompson, a former advertising man who moved west and began raising Labrador retrievers and supplying outdoorsmen with all sorts of gear by mail, had been looking for something new in upland game clothing. He combined the flair of safari wear with practical ideas long tested in the West and brought out his Shikari clothes, named for India's tiger-hunting guides, the shikaris. For his white-hunter hat, Thompson used the fine beaver-fur felt of a cowboy's ten-gallon, made it into an Africa-tested style: wide brim (3¼ inches) to keep out sun and rain, an inside band designed to keep the hat on in the wind, a Stewart Granger dash of genuine leopard-skin band ($17.50).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1142487/index.htm

1956? 1958? And I actually remember 1958?

oh i do pretty good with the 50's and most of the 60's it is those damn 70's that are a bit hazy, hmmm wonder why?

Back