1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My Latest Work! Framelocks in Progress and More!

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Lets start right in the middle of 2 RF3 framelocks that I have in progress...

Questions and comments are always welcome!

Manual milling done on RF3 frame for Zirconium inset... Zirc inset roughed out and square on end.
    [​IMG]

Zirc clip holes drilled, counterbored,chamfered after being roughed out on bandsaw, Zirconium spacer roughed out.
    [​IMG]

Metallic anodized Compound ground Titanium Backpacker finished up.
    [​IMG]

Inset ground to profile, tapped and milled...
    [​IMG]

Working on a new RF3 with 5 hole pattern. This was trickier than it looks and I'm on take two here!
    [​IMG]

S7 Steel Heavy Metal EDC Prybars finished up
    [​IMG]

Milling clip relief on RF3 frame
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Zirconium clip mill pattern done, lots of tricky manual milling done on Zirc inlay. The inlay will later be heat colored to a very durable jet black.
    [​IMG]

Clip roughed out to size
    [​IMG]

New RF3 Tanto started up! I have 3 going now. Frames are roughed out, most holes are in place, blade final profiled/reamed/etc, heat treated in house and surface ground flat/parallel.
    [​IMG]

3. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    12 hour day in the heat treat shop complete and blades are looking good!
    [​IMG]

Up early cranking the surface grinder...
    [​IMG]

4. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I need a Zirconium inlayed pivot to go with the inlay on the RF3! Time to make one...

I cut a square of Zirconium on the bandsaw, ground it round then used a cordless drill to turn to size. The pivot milling was done manually with no rotary table... just a piece of heat treated steel for index and turned the pivot with pliers!
    [​IMG]

Inlay set, peened and ground to a pivot shape. After that I took it to a high polish and stipple textured the Zirconium.
    [​IMG]

Here it is after lots more work and a final heat color. I got the black I want and the two tone texture just makes my day!
    [​IMG]

5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    That pivot took me 6 hours to make. :cool:

6. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm doing a black Zirconium inlay that will show through slots milled in this RF3 Tanto frame show side.

Layout one and milling has commenced! I'm doing everything by eye and by counting mill handle turns.
    [​IMG]

See through...
    [​IMG]

Inlay cut, ground to size and quickly blackened for mock up...
    [​IMG]

7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    4 hours into the Zirc insert/relief in the Tanto so far... it's looking good!

8. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
  9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks for the picture show, Daniel!
    You folder maniac!!!!!

10. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks Rolf! I'm hoping to get the pics going here again... we have too much fun here!

11. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Sure thing, Daniel!
    Your pix are waaaaaay better than mine.
    :D

12. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
  13. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Who really made this? ^
    :D

14. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Boy that is a thing of beauty! Your skills have blossomed.

15. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    :D :D :D

Much appreciated!

16. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
  17. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Shine-E!!!
    Way to go, Daniel!

18. Farchyld

Farchyld

Sep 10, 2011
    I can't wait to see more pics. I love progress pictures of your work. Someday Ima' get me a folder!

19. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2012
    thanks for all the pics, D ! You know we love pics. That RF3 tanto is looking totally bitchin!

20. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011