My LC200N Mule Rusted. How is that possible??

Good. If it were real alien, the knife would’ve dissolved completely, and the eastern US would be under quarantine by now. I didn’t think before asking. Better luck with your replacement blade!
I was hoping it wasn't one of the Deep Ones... Good to see it wasn't.

If it is due to contamination of the steel by some other steel, all Mules in this batch should have this problem. But we have not heard aother report of this problem have we? Unless all owners have been babying their LC200N Mule.

Unless his was one of the earlier ones ground at the factory in this batch, shortly after having just ground something else, say a carbon steel. After a number of LC200N knives ground, the contamination would likely get less and less, until all signs of the carbon steel had disappeared on later blades. One of many possibilities. I still lean towards contaminated steel, but there are many ways that it could have happened.

Both previous mules were not stainless. Still doesn't explain the edge though. That was sharpened a couple times and still rusted. Spyderco reached out and we are arranging shipping. Should be in their hands soon enough.

This will be interesting. Is LC200N equal to H1 in corrosion resistance?

In on this thread for the results. I am anxiously awaiting the LC200N Native. I work around de-icer and fertilizers and was looking forward to the new Native.

My guess is it has something to do with the scales. I'd bet the problem begins there. Maybe the scales need to be passivated too. :) My halperin scales are never used in conditions like that so I wouldn't know yet if they are the same way.

The dust is difficult to see and I've found it still on blades after washing them in soap and water. It takes usually a good waxing with a soft clean cloth to get that tiny particle stuff off as much of it is magnetized and stuck to the steel in the grooves left from polishing we need a microscope to see. Commercial outfits often use an acidic(?)base(?) solution to get metals passivated. Even Titanium can have problems if contaminated.

Joe

My guess is it has something to do with the scales. I'd bet the problem begins there. Maybe the scales need to be passivated too. :) My halperin scales are never used in conditions like that so I wouldn't know yet if they are the same way.

The dust is difficult to see and I've found it still on blades after washing them in soap and water. It takes usually a good waxing with a soft clean cloth to get that tiny particle stuff off as much of it is magnetized and stuck to the steel in the grooves left from polishing we need a microscope to see. Commercial outfits often use an acidic(?)base(?) solution to get metals passivated. Even Titanium can have problems if contaminated.

Joe
From the looks of them, I thought they were carbon fiber.

Yeah they do look like it. They might have dust on them from a sander or buffer too. The worst areas of rust were under the grip and where the screws are. I just think that is where the dust or ? was introduced from not the mule itself. There is always the possibility it's an incorrectly marked piece of steel but I'd take the dust bet personally.

Joe

The pins were not rusted. The scales are silver twill. Not quite CF, but similar, like the Gayle Bradley air had.

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying hence "there", not "here" :). I hope fo answers soon as well. I missed not having it on my fishing trip this past Saturday. I used my Salt 2, but honestly the straight blade on the Mule is easier to deal with than the serrated one on the Salt.

It's going to probably take them a while to check out the material.

They won't have a guy in the back staring a screen and saying "enhance".

Back