My Local Wildlife Critters

I suck at taking pics so i apologise for the poor quality
Hopefully the content partially makes up for it

These were all taken this year and i never had to go more than 10 ft from my step
And they are all mostly at least constant visitors so i should be able to get better ones with some patience

Awesome pictured ! Did you know we have a subforum for photography?

These were all taken this year and i never had to go more than 10 ft from my step
And they are all mostly at least constant visitors so i should be able to get better ones with some patience

MyRabbit.jpg

Chicago rabbit in my backyard.

I live in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood. It is urban, crowded and overpopulated, but we get our share of wild critters: both resident and visiting rabbits, squirrels (mostly grey but a few reds), raccoons, opossums, groundhogs, foxes, coyotes, and an occasional deer. I used to see them after dark, taking my dog for her last walk of the day. She died three years ago and I'm too old to start another dog, so nowadays all I see are rabbits.

We have all of your wild birds and more, because Chicago is a migration route and the trees and ponds in our large cemeteries and forest preserve parks draw everything in for a pit stop. I've seen trumpeter swans and great blue herons. A pair of Cooper's Hawks nested near our house for two years. They ate all the pigeons and most of the squirrels, but it looks like that wasn't enough for them and they moved on.

Lincoln_statue.jpg

This is Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln Square, Chicago. Unlike most Lincoln statues, this one is beardless because Abe was beardless the last time he was in the neighborhood, in November 1860.

Last edited:
View attachment 2236142

Chicago rabbit in my backyard.

I live in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood. It is urban, crowded and overpopulated, but we get our share of wild critters: both resident and visiting rabbits, squirrels (mostly grey but a few reds), raccoons, opossums, groundhogs, foxes, coyotes, and an occasional deer. I used to see them after dark, taking my dog for her last walk of the day. She died three years ago and I'm too old to start another dog, so nowadays all I see are rabbits.

We have all of your wild birds and more, because Chicago is a migration route and the trees and ponds in our large cemeteries and forest preserve parks draw everything in for a pit stop. I've seen trumpeter swans and great blue herons. A pair of Cooper's Hawks nested near our house for two years. They ate all the pigeons and most of the squirrels, but it looks like that wasn't enough for them and they moved on.

View attachment 2236207

This is Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln Square, Chicago. Unlike most Lincoln statues, this one is beardless because Abe was beardless the last time he was in the neighborhood, in November 1860.
I’m sure there is an adoptable dog nearby! Save one that’s middle to older age, you can be older together and not have to start with a pup. Many adoption groups have a trail run period. You can return them if it’s not working out………Great wildlife pics, Thanks Laurence

Thanks for acknowledging it, I was gonna feel rude suggesting you upgrade your equipment. I have a buddy that does a lot of wildlife photography, mainly birds, I'm sure I could reach out to him for gear upgrades if you're interested.

Your pictures don't suck, it's obvious you have a good eye, and can take nice photos, but I think your gear is limiting you.

Keep the pics coming! All I have is a couple squirrels and rabbits across the road, and random birds, and my phone for photos, so good luck with me getting those.

Awesome pictured ! Did you know we have a subforum for photography?

Oh really, I should find that.

I'm assuming there is awesome photos to be found as well as technical aspects of photography discussions. I'm there for the photos!

Back