1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

My M-43 arrives

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by snow and steel, Jun 1, 2011.

1. snow and steel

snow and steel

Mar 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

My M-43 arrived yesterday, much to my great pleasure!

I've been waiting for this one for a couple months, and it's arrives just in time for my trip out west and down south, so it will be coming along!

Pulling it out fo the box I IMMEDIATELY noticed the grip -no ring plus bigger diameter completelt alters the grip feel - in a way I'm REALLY digging into! This one measures out at 18 3/4" from farthest tip to tip as the crow flies. I don't have a way fo weighing it exactly, but it appears to me to feel lighter than what my Chiruwa Ang Khola did. Perhaps this is, indeed, the return to lighter M-43's as we've envisioned? If I get a chance to properly weigh it, I will and report.

Finish is very bright, as usual, but the edge was perfect out of the box - great for me - from about an inch past the cho to the very tip it is very sharp! Excellant! The grips haev a very nice dark red color, with lots of grain and visual texture - very nice! The white metal fittings a very classy as well.

[​IMG]

Anther fine piece by Tirtha Kami!

[​IMG]

And, as we all know, the most important thing - this piece is Siamese approved!

[​IMG]

I intend to give this one a real hard use break in during my trip, but I don't expect any surprises - it passes the whack test and edge test easily, and fit and finish appear fantastic. I'm thinking by the time I get back I may have to green scotchbrite pad it, as I'll have it so nicked and scratched it will be beyond "pretty", and that is sort of sad in one way, but in another way cool because then I'll really have a "hard use" monster - sometimes these things look so fantastic I feel bad using them! I'm going to have to go back and forth between this and the Chiruwa ang khola, but I have a sinking feeling the M-43 just ebcasue my new favorite, as well as my alla round monster!

Hope everyone enjoys!

2. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Ahhh! another one infected!!!

Just wait till you've used it a bit. You'll never want to put it down.

3. jdk1

jdk1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Sweet! I love my Tirtha M-43. The handle on yours sure looks shorter than mine and most others. I'd like some detailed measurements at some point. She's a beaut! take care.

4. Tony Nguyen

Tony Nguyen Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Spine shot? Gorgeous knife you have there sir.

5. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Good to see you finally got her! Enjoy!
    try to take it easy on this one...m'kay! :D :p

6. snow and steel

snow and steel

Mar 5, 2011
    Top of handle;
    [​IMG]

Bottom of handle;
    [​IMG]

Overhand shot - Straight as an arrow!;
    [​IMG]

Measurements of the handle are;
    from the bottom of the butt cap to the top of the wood = 5"
    from the bottom of the butt cap to teh top of the bolster = 6"
    circumfrance around the middle is 4 1/2"

Hope that helps!

7. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Welcome to the MKII club! Good luck with your new Tirtha steel. Have a good trip and let us know how it performed. (and a weight)

8. blinky bill

blinky bill

Aug 17, 2010
    Snowy, I just received my M43 today....my first HI kukri and it's fantastic !!...Love your review and pics.