My Micro field report on the Busse Basic 5

KC Slim

Fat Bastid
Well today I got to try out my Busse basic 5, I went to a spot by the local river, and found a nice dead tree with a 4 diameter trunk. I figured for my first ever use of a Busse knife I would try something that would normaly be tough on a knife yep you guessed it chopping:D
It took about five minutes, with a couple of ten second breaks, but I got it cut in half. Afterwards I checked out the blade expecting to see some sign of use. Zilch nothing Nada. The knife was still shaving sharp. The only problem I had was caused by my fairly large hands and that was the handle size My hand is much more suited towards the handle of the Natural outlaw ;) as far as the knife I am now a true beliver of Busse knives, now I have a knife that I can rely on 100% Thank you MR. Busse.

I find the Basic #5 to be a great deer hunting knife. It is certainly large enough for field dressing, skinning and quartering chores, even larger than necessary; but the extra size prooves itself. There is suffucuent weight for trimming branches around a stand, and other limbing/light chopping duty. It is not my favorite Busse for chopping, but provides just enough without being too heavy.

When it's time to cover the miles, still hunt or put on a few drives, the knife is not so heavy that it becomes a burden. When I deer hunt in the east, I am usually close to civilization and am not carrying a potential survival knife; although an argument can be made that one is always carrying a potential survival knife if one carries a knife, but i think you all knew what I meant.

The shape has enough of a point for tasks that require a point yet is suitable for skinning. It's handle allows for great control though it is not overly large. The Reciprene-C is good when cold, wet or covered with blood and fat. The shape of the adds to the security when really slicked up.

Even with it's decent chopping ability for a smaller sized, lightweight knife, the shape, edge and overall size make it very handy for cutting pepperoni and what not at the card games. She's strong, light, tough and handy, overall, a mighty good deer hunting knife for my purposes.

Glad to hear you had a chance to give the Basic a workout. Now, what are you going to do to get that NO? ;)

Might need to start thinning the folders and place an order for an Outlaw. :D:D

actually eric I am currently trying to trade the basic 5 plus another knife for a used NA or some other busse with big handles.

Oh sacrilege, trading a Busse.;) Well, at least it is to get another Busse :D:D

Good luck, I have both the Basic 5 and the NO and I wouldn't want to let either go.

Back