My new 2x42 toy

Well , Im really proud with this one .Almost done , rest is easy. Plate was 12x12 inch and half inch thick .For tightening belt I make ratchet mechanism and I already can see advantage of that system .Arm for tracking/tension is almost one inch thick and have two ball bearing on pivot ,part for tracking wheel is same thickness and have three ball bearing in :D What I can do , SKF distributor is my neighbors ;) To keep everything compact motor / 1.5hp and 2800 rpm/ will be mounted under table .Also I make grinding jig which is solid like rock .... For now I will use three step pulley drive.In future I will make tooling arm for different contact wheel size and different length belts .Only I need to take out this two small wheel , leave only tracking and drive wheel and I can use any length of belt I want ............. .When I found motor which can be face mount on plate I will take of this pulley.Thats way I positioned drive wheel high on plate , for new motor and 8/9 inch drive plate .............Well I hope you like my new toy .

hYOOHRb.jpg

omanWeg.jpg

zY2dXPk.jpg

AS89CPV.jpg

zoIwipL.jpg

JZ9IiPN.jpg

UzHSoI8.jpg

IjM3NIJ.jpg

i9Hkjxo.jpg

ZsuObEf.jpg

MF196vm.jpg

h4ihvB0.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty beefy and solid. Where did those wheels come from?

Drive wheel I make from big fan .I just cut blade and turn on lathe , other wheel /unfinished / are from Micarta . Max dia.contact wheel I can use with this belt is almost 10 inch .This wheel is 20x 6cm and have very hard rubber on .Need just little work on lathe and new bearing .No need for tool arm , just small plate bolted to frame .
WFsgZr9.jpg

This is with 10 inch /just for example no real wheel /...............will work ;)
XOTpm6C.jpg

This is with 50 x 1500 belt ...........need tool arm
EY7JGhn.jpg

For this one I will need 1 x 1800 belt
BV40PKy.jpg

Adjustable platen angles?

Of course , without that I don t see point to make this jig :) Me and my friend worked a bit on my CNC grinder today ......And we make some tool for this grinder , which I saw on tube . Will fit on this jig I have ............same as this one on this video clip ........I forgot it in his shop when we leaving . Tomorrow I will take picture . . .

I think it's a great machine. I just could not tell or see how the bevel angle can be adjustable from the photos.

Sorry , you cant see that because it s not done yet.Well , this piece of tool is like on purpose made for this jig .....Everything with them is like I want to be ......will be to easy to make it adjustable .I don t done that yet because first I need to run grinder to see where exactly will run belt . Solution is this .... with only one piece of very thick angle iron I will do that .I will use bolt /longer then i need to to protrude from back side of frame / from the lower idler wheel for pivoting and one more in slot .....Like on picture

I have four hole to bolt this to angle iron ...........
106OuUV.jpg

Something like this .....not exactly that piece of angle iron I have new one, this one is from another grinder I work on .
rgRQoYK.jpg

R4z13vL.jpg

USVld4A.jpg

This picture explain best what I intend to do ....I try to keep it simple as I can
xW3Jmq9.jpg

Last edited:
You think on plate behind the belt ? If so , I can t do that because wheels a fixed on main plate .............they are not movable ?

I see. Adjustable jig works.
May need to use a backer plate behind the blade after the first side bevel is done, if it is a high grind.

Guys , tomorrow I will turn on lathe idler and tracking wheel .Plan is to use 6301 C3 bearing ...question is it C4 better solution ? One more question , I intend to leave 6cm wide idler wheels , is it that wrong ? I see that most of you use exactly 2 inch/5cm wide wheel ?? Is there any particular reason for that ?

Last edited:
Well...................today I will disassembly my first grinder and make it with ratchet mechanism.......................ASAP !! Difference is like day and night !!
First start ....................it run like turtle on 10 m/s :D I really like what I done .Now to weld some legs and that is that .I will make another one video .....on 40 m/s when I finish with stand :)

Last edited:
nice work! I like the jig you are working on too... the problem with all jigs I've seen so far is that they only allow 2D grinding (x and y axis) and not tilting (z axis, if you will), which I would like to see in a jig (front and back and side to side). Now the jig you already have built (similar to the Multi Guide that Belnap sells) does allow you to tilt side to side, in the middle of the x axis motion, but it will scratch the flats up. Maybe we should do a group collaboration on the ultimate jig lol

nice work! I like the jig you are working on too... the problem with all jigs I've seen so far is that they only allow 2D grinding (x and y axis) and not tilting (z axis, if you will), which I would like to see in a jig (front and back and side to side). Now the jig you already have built (similar to the Multi Guide that Belnap sells) does allow you to tilt side to side, in the middle of the x axis motion, but it will scratch the flats up. Maybe we should do a group collaboration on the ultimate jig lol
Thanks ! Z axis for ultimate jig you say :) Well ......when my friend finish this we shell make that ultimate jig with Z axis .....his name is CNC grinder ;) Metal base is done already ................
hTrY5tK.jpg

I beg him to give me this HULK arm to grind some blade :D

sZxaYww.jpg

Now about my new toy ..............first impression .Big , very big difference grinding on this new grinder and on my first 2x42 grinder .......I will try to describe that another time .Now I can grind with one hand and drink coffee with other hand ... or filming video like now :D Second gear or half speed .....20 m/s

Back