Kershaw My New Blur - Sprint Run - M4 Steel

Here's the funny thing..apparently some folks who I've put in "ignore" are commenting. I see "ignored messages" ... It is delicious for me knowing that their comments are blocked and I'm not reading those comments. I doubt I'm wrong in assuming their comments are douche-bag type remarks. I don't see the comments, nor will I take a look

That I've taken up rent free in their heads utterly delights me. If anyone wants to be added to my ignore list, let me know. Happy to accommodate.

:)

De-assisting the Blur is easy enough. Take it apart and put it back together without the torsion bar. The Blur has a ball detent. You can bend the lock bar a bit further to increase (or decrease) the strength of the detent to your preference. It's not as good of a detent as other knives that are designed as normal manual liner/frame locks, but it still works. The thumb studs are a bit awkward though; they're obviously designed to be pushed against rather than rotated. Push against the stud perpendicular to the angle and the torsion bar does the rest. But without the assist, the angle on the stud doesn't feel right through the rotation arc. It'd feel more natural if the stud was circular or conical. It still works fine, it just doesn't quite feel right.

Not all assisted Kershaws can be de-assisted. The Leek, for example, uses the torsion bar as a stop and doesn't use the detent in the closed position, so it won't want to stay closed without the torsion bar.

Frankly I don't see the need to de-assist one of these unless it's a legality issue.
I have always felt like the assist is a good thing.

Sorry, what's a "detent hole."
Liner lock knives among others have a staked detent on one side that sits in a hole drilled into the blade when closed. The hole is what keeps it in place when closed.

Those two I circled here
0Uv3vjO.png

A lot of assisted knives don't bother putting the hole in since the torsion bar adds bias that keeps the blade closed, but the Blur--or at least my Blur--has it. Without the hole, you're relying on just friction to keep the knife shut if you deassist it.

Here's the funny thing..apparently some folks who I've put in "ignore" are commenting. I see "ignored messages" ... It is delicious for me knowing that their comments are blocked and I'm not reading those comments. I doubt I'm wrong in assuming their comments are douche-bag type remarks. I don't see the comments, nor will I take a look

That I've taken up rent free in their heads utterly delights me. If anyone wants to be added to my ignore list, let me know. Happy to accommodate.

Lol you tell ‘em!

Rent FREE up in they DOMES, yo!

I sure wouldn't carry a spring assisted knife tip-up in my right back pocket.

In the right front pocket, the spine of the blade is against the right seam, so even if the blade starts to open, it can't open all the way. Either that, or tip-down in the back pocket, with the spine against the outside pocket seam.

Gosh, I sure hope you don't have me on ignore, since I'm just trying to helpfully discuss the safest ways to carry a knife with a spring assist mechanism.

If you don't want to read any opinions besides your own, maybe an online blog would be a better fit for you than an open discussion forum.

Enjoy your new knife safely. :):thumbsup:

Liner lock knives among others have a staked detent on one side that sits in a hole drilled into the blade when closed. The hole is what keeps it in place when closed.

Those two I circled here
0Uv3vjO.png

A lot of assisted knives don't bother putting the hole in since the torsion bar adds bias that keeps the blade closed, but the Blur--or at least my Blur--has it. Without the hole, you're relying on just friction to keep the knife shut if you deassist it.

Thanks, that's interesting.

M4 is great I'm sure you will enjoy it. The most interesting thing about the blur to me has always been the angled thumbstuds. I'd love to see someone try and throw something like that on a manual thumbstud knife. Would be very interesting if the angle of engagement was right.

The Blur has always had my favorite thumb studs.

I have one of these. I like the blur model. a Ken Onion masterpiece. with m4 had to be added to my blur collection. its a great knife with a great steel.

Off topic child-like stuff like this is why some people choose other forums.

Why is it so hard to stay on the topic at hand?

Myself, I choose this forum including for the way such issues are sooner or later addressed. Anyone can register and post, and things go from there.

The only Kershaw I have is this Shallot. Though I rarely use it, it is a nice folder, I like the recurve, and it fits my very average size hand well.

p1gRDtV.jpg

Myself, I choose this forum including for the way such issues are sooner or later addressed. Anyone can register and post, and things go from there.

The only Kershaw I have is this Shallot. Though I rarely use it, it is a nice folder, I like the recurve, and it fits my very average size hand well.

p1gRDtV.jpg
You have an abnormally large thumb.

Yes, me too. I see no point in buying a Kershaw and removing a key selling features. But...to each his own.

I think some people do it for legal reasons, there are still localities that treat the assisted feature on Kershaw as tantamount to automatics and thus carry the same legal penalties. Others do it to make the knife less flashy i.e they don't want their blade to come flying out with a loud *THWACK* in the company lunch room just to cut up an apple or pop open a bag of chips. That and there is a huge contingent in the knife community that prefers manual opening knives for the simplicity and aesthetic pleasure of not fighting a torsion bar when disengaging the lock.

I myself carried assisted Kershaws in the past such as the Cryo 2 and it was a fine blade but have gravitated toward well made manual knives that can still be flicked open just as fast as an assisted blade.

I think some people do it for legal reasons, there are still localities that treat the assisted feature on Kershaw as tantamount to automatics and thus carry the same legal penalties. Others do it to make the knife less flashy i.e they don't want their blade to come flying out with a loud *THWACK* in the company lunch room just to cut up an apple or pop open a bag of chips. That and there is a huge contingent in the knife community that prefers manual opening knives for the simplicity and aesthetic pleasure of not fighting a torsion bar when disengaging the lock.

I myself carried assisted Kershaws in the past such as the Cryo 2 and it was a fine blade but have gravitated toward well made manual knives that can still be flicked open just as fast as an assisted blade.

That makes sense.

Back