1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My "new" Boy Scout hatchet!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by John G, Aug 6, 2009.

1. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    I picked this one up today at an antique co-op shop. Bridgeport Boy Scout hatchet. So, what now? I get a file and reprofile it? Looks like I just bought myself a new project! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Helle

Helle

Dec 9, 2005
    Hey, that's pretty cool.:thumbup:

Congrats on the find.

I would just lay out the old mouse pad and sand paper and start with 220 wet/dry and work my way up.

Thanks for sharing

3. Snakedoc

Snakedoc

Mar 7, 2007
    That is a good find. I like the old Boy Scout hatchets.

4. pimpnugget

pimpnugget Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2008
    great find are you going to use it ? and i would reprofile it and ude the hell out of it

5. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    Looks like a decent little project you have there. Nice little pick up.

6. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    Thanks guys. And yes, I'm most definately going to use it! It would be a shame not to!

7. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    That looks awesome. Have someone sharpen it up and made rehandle it

8. coaldigger

coaldigger

Jan 27, 2007
    Cool find 'Ol Bud ! First time I had ever seen one !

9. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    The handle is actually not too bad. I might give it some linseed oil, but that's it.

10. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    BSA Item No. 1424. Made 1948-1960. The earlier ones were painted black. Later ones were painted green.

11. mcjhrobinson

mcjhrobinson

Nov 2, 2008
    wow nice score! i love seeing the words "made in USA" :)

12. DPKnives

DPKnives

Nov 6, 2007
    John That is very cool. Are you going to bring that to the WNY gathering next weekend? That would be a great place to try it out. Doug

13. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    Sounds like a plan, Doug! It'll be cool to meet everyone in person, maybe try out my primitive fishing rig.

14. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    awesome find , Congrats !!

15. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    Mine is painted red and has a rubber handle where the wood is. Head and handle shaft identical to the one pictured. Purchased new in 1959. Still with my basement tools, I primarily use it now for yard work, chopping up tree stumps.