My New Breeden Knife

The Breeden knives certainly need no introduction here so I won't bother with all the details. I picked up this PSKK II from a forum member and just recently had a chance to use it on a short, slow, relaxing, week-long, 50-mile backpacking trip through the Oregon mountains (a trip badly needed after returning from Mayo Clinic in Minnesota).

Usually, I can spend a short session with a new knife on a bench sharpening stone, be it a water stone, or a Norton India stone, and I can tell a good deal about the blade material and how well it was treated in its making. The Breeden blade was consistent from one end to the other (no hard or soft spots), and a proper O1 hardness for ideal field use. It sharpened well to hair-popping, and all that was left was making a slim, light weight sheath to accommodate the very light knife on the trip.
breedenpskkii1mp5.jpg

From slicing slab bacon and onion to carving fuzz sticks and a new aspen spoon, peeling potatoes and a host of other camp chores, I couldn't be more pleased with the performance and comfort of the knife in my XL-hand. For me, personally, if I can't comfortably peel a potato (says a lot about what other tasks it can easily perform) and some basic small carving needs, I have little use for the knife on a backpacking trip. The Breeden knife fulfills my requirements very well - though I typically use a shorter blade. I think the excellent Breeden knife has found a home in my backpack. :)

Forgive the poor pics. I need to replace the older camera in my backpack.
breedenpskkii3eh2.jpg

breedenpskkii2js0.jpg

We ended our hike here, at the base of Mt. Hood (sure wished I had brought my better camera for this one).
hiketomthood1ug8.jpg

Great pictures. It looks like you had a great hike and you certainly have a great knife.

Great work on that spoon and excellent pics. That black sheath looks great and compliments the Breeden very well.

I was lucky enough to live in Portland for almost 2 years. Got to see ALOT of great country around the area during that time. :thumbup:

Great knife too! Love the orange and white liner.

Wandering_About

Gold Member
Bryan makes some very nice knives. Be careful, though, it may want company. Great work on that spoon, too. That's so far beyond my carving capabilities that it's not funny.

Hi all, Danny glad you like your knife and WOW awesome pics of your hike.
Yea that black sheath really does look good to.
If that knife needs some company just let me know LOL

Take care,
Bryan

Thanks for the review & congrats on finding yourself a new Blade ! Bryan makes an Awsome knife !

Nice Breeden. Those City Knives are pretty sweet too.

Jeff

Jeff, the City Knife is one of my favorites for those small jobs requiring a sharp point and laser sharp edge (surgery!). This particular knife is built rock-solid with excellent walk-and-talk.

Real nice knife Danny. Glad you are doing better.

Thanks, Quill. It wasn't all that long ago that I had no idea what planet I was on. A good drug did wonders. Sort of all fine now (a few memory issues). :)

I was lucky enough to live in Portland for almost 2 years. Got to see ALOT of great country around the area during that time.

Yes, Oregon is one of the more beautiful states in my opinion. Lots of room out here, too. Maybe you can get back here some day! :)

Bryan makes some very nice knives. Be careful, though, it may want company. Great work on that spoon, too. That's so far beyond my carving capabilities that it's not funny.

Some of my first spoons looked more like canoe paddles. :D At least I have them down to a size that fits the mouth now. :D

50 miles and a week out?? Sounds wonderful. I'd love to go for that long.

Hollowdweller, It was a nice break from the long distance thru hikes with ultra-light gear that we often do (the PCT is right up the road from us). This trip was perfect for just "foolin' around" and enjoying nature.

Hi all, Danny glad you like your knife and WOW awesome pics of your hike.
Yea that black sheath really does look good to.
If that knife needs some company just let me know LOL

Take care,
Bryan

Bryan, The knife really did well on the trip and was a joy to use. The blade design and dimensions reminds me much of an old original Russell that I have that has served me (us) well for several decades (very light weight and easy to maintain, too). Yes, I can see a shorter blade to accompany this one in the future. :thumbup:

Thanks, guys! :)

mmmotorcycle

Midnight Joker #42
Platinum Member
Well, have a nice time, treat your knife well, relax, and most importantly: have fun and bring us back lots of pictures (or stories)!

kgd

They are really nice - those Breeden knives. Here is a shot of my pathfinder in one of those - knives sticking in trees pics....

DSC_0067-2.jpg