1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Review My new Buck 303 Cadet

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pr3inar, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:47 PM.

1. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    Recieved my new Buck 303 2 days ago. This is my short review/first impression, in bullet points:

Pros:
    - Sharp enough to be useful out of the box (shaved armhairs on most of the edge(es), but not sharp enough for my taste, so
    - Steel is easy to sharpen
    - Have a good feel in hand
    - Clip and sheepfoot have good snap, spey have acceptable snap
    - Not a nailbreaker, but not too soft either, like I felt my 301 was.

Cons:
    - the Sheepfoot and spey edges was very uneven, the bladebevel on one side was twice as wide as the other side. Maybe they are around 30 deg inclusive, but with 20/10 deg pr side. Got it on the Edge pro and got it treetopping sharp with some back bevel grinding and a 17 deg micro, but it will take some time to make it even.

Neither pro or con, just what it is:
    - Slight lateral bladeplay, but nothing so serious that it will affect using the knife.
    - The center pins are very proud of the scales, but as this is my first 303 in black, maybe it’s supposed to be like this
    - Gritty opening and closing, but after 2 rounds of WD40 it’s much better, I think this will work itself out with use.

This one will live in the pocket of my upper left arm on my uniform jacket, and take the place of my GEC #66.

(Apologies in advance for bad grammar, I’m writing this on my phone and english is not my first language).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 4:41 AM
  2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Always good to read reviews of everyday type knives, appealing :cool:

Any chance of any pictures though?

Thanks, Will

Pr3inar likes this.
  3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Glad you like it! Which covers did you get?

Pr3inar likes this.
  4. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    My photo-skills are horrible, but:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still some sharpie marks on some of the blades after sharpening. The ones with the Gunstock are taken when I recieved it, the first ones are taken after sharpening :)

jmh33 likes this.
  5. Old Hunter

Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Buck’s been offering good, basic working pocketknives for over 50 years; the 303 is a good one - glad you like it. OH

jmh33 and Pr3inar like this.