My new little Hess Whitetail

r redden

Gold Member
I wanted a small fixed blade I could carry comfortably in a pocket or on a belt bought. After looking around a bit decided on a Hess Whitetail. The blade is 3.25" and the knife is 7.25" overall length. The blade is made by GEC out of 1095 the handle I chose was Maple Burl but almost went with stacked leather. The fit and finish were excellent but I have to admit not as sharp as I like them so I remedied that in about 15 minutes. Just like all of GEC 1095 steel it got hair popping without rolling. The sheath is adequate and will do just fine but certainly not premium by any means. The price for this beauty less than $100 shipped IMO an excellent deal for such a quality knife.
The #77 Washington Jack pictured is for size comparison.

sO0LmOM.jpg

Very nice indeed Randy, and that's a great price :) Congratulations :thumbup:

Maybe Hess could do us a Forum Knife ;) :thumbup:

Very nice fixed blade, Randy! I've been venturing into the fixed blade world, and that Hess looks a doozie!

It's a beauty, Randy. Congratulations.

Having GEC's 1095 in a smallish fixed blade sounds like a magical combination to me. I hope you'll share an experience report down the line after you've spent some time with it.

Been one of those on stacked leather! How thick is the blade BTW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice knife Randy.I live in the city and rarely get out to the country to go fishing or hunting so i have no real use for a fixed blade but I still find myself wanting to buy one of these small cool knives. There beautiful and a good bargain to boot lol.:D

A BEAUTIFUL Hess Randy. I was gifted one from the LEGEND Duncan Morgan and it's one of my favorite knives.

Just got my Tiburon with stacked leather and alumunium pommel. I love this knife. It slices better than any knife I have ever handled, and the steel is the same as My favorite pocket knife, a GEC lick creek 14 boys knife. I didn't notice this until yesterday, but the tiburon looks a lot like a fancy kephart. I can do a review later if anyone wants it.

Guitarist, if you would like to do a review on this knife I will look forward to it.

I've been chickin' eyeing a small Hess for some time. I already have a Kabar Lil Finn so I don't really need it....but still.......That's a right nice little blade.

Guitarist, if you would like to do a review on this knife I will look forward to it.

Alright, I'll probably start a thread in a couple of days, just as a first impressions, than in a while I'll add to it as full review. I was actually thinking that since I have been unable to find all that information on these, just to have it as a thread where everyone who owns a Hess knife can at least post about there experience with it, and show it next to something else for size, like a dollar bill, quarter, or a ruler just for an idea for size and deminsions.

Thanks Guitarist, I am more of a folder person myself but there is no denying that there is a time and place for a good fixed blade. And the Hess knives sure look well made and up for some serious use,

I agree there isnt much information out there on these knives and the comparisons can be difficult. The late Bob Andrews once sent me a detailed email unfortunately I never followed through and bought one from him, to my regret.

Sorry. I'm a little late to the game on this thread. Been pretty busy the last few days.

I also recently acquired a Hess Whitetail. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I expect great things. The craftsmanship appears to be quite excellent on the knife, as I would expect from a former Marbles employee. Better fit and finish that my Stuart-era Marbles. I guess the only question is how GEC's 1095 will do. My convex grinds have always been done in 52-100. But even there, I expect great things. GEC's 1095 hasn't let me down yet, and I've got a ton of it.

xQWpAiTh.jpg

For anyone wondering about the size of the Whitetail, here's a picture next to few other knives. From top to bottom, Marbles Woodcraft, Marbles Trailcraft, Marbles Fieldcraft, Hess Whitetail, Blackjack Small, Buck 102 Woodsman

bDOYZPwh.jpg

Last edited:
Back