My new Makers Mark.

DavidHoback

If you see me posting, remind me to STFU & leave.
Been playing with this for a bit now. It uses the main logo from my previous mark, but the text removed & three verticals added. To now I have been electro/chemical etching, & marking the logos. I made an etching/marking machine when I started. It's worked fantastic. But I want to switch to a stamped mark. And I felt it was time to change my logo to what I have been thinking for a time. I like it, but just wanted some feedback. Good or bad. What are your thoughts?

Just my opinion, but it will make it very difficult for someone down the road to identify you as the maker unless they're already familiar with your work.

~Chip

Oh I'm not worried about that. I don't make knives for money. And I certainly am not looking for them to make me famous. I've given more knives as gifts than I have sold. :D I do this because God blessed me with a gift, despite being disabled and paralyzed in my left arm. I am so thankful to be able to do these things. People not knowing my mark doesn't concern me. I know it.

Is there a significance to the lines? It would be easier to give feedback knowing why you chose this. It looks interesting. What about a D and H over lapping each other?

Hi,
I don't understand the scale/zoom
There is some painters/art rule of thumb,
the painting must look good at three different viewing distances,
so look at it 1 meter away (~3.3 feet),
then look at it 33 cm away ( ~1 foot)
then look at it 11 cm away ( ~4 inch)
if it looks good at all three distance (whatever the numbers actually are),
if there is something pleasing at every distance,
you've got a good painting
I don't imagine a makers mark or a logo would be much different,
some logos only look good under magnification and some makers are OK with that
So what is a hoback inch?
Obtbssb.png

The mark is only about 5/16" or so. But it shows clear. Doesn't look like the 10% you put up. I don't know much about all that ARTSY-FARTSY stuff. Not my bag! I just came up with what I found pleasing.

I would never put my initials on my knives. I always hated having initials/names/words on the knives I pirchased. It doesn't carry any hidden "deep meaning". I came up with this after a friend mentioned having something showing some kind of FLINT KNAPPED blade. I then sketched the primary part. The three lines are the new addition. The only thing I can say they represent are "CUTS" that type of edge would make. And "3" is a lucky number.

Interesting mark. If you're not worried about people seeing the mark and not knowing how to look you up or how they can describe it then go for it. I can just see someone asking "who made this nice knife, not sure but it has 3 vertical lines and an arch?"

Back