1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My new Makers Mark.

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by DavidHoback, May 29, 2017.

1. DavidHoback

DavidHoback If you see me posting, remind me to STFU & leave.

Dec 10, 2014
    Been playing with this for a bit now. It uses the main logo from my previous mark, but the text removed & three verticals added. To now I have been electro/chemical etching, & marking the logos. I made an etching/marking machine when I started. It's worked fantastic. But I want to switch to a stamped mark. And I felt it was time to change my logo to what I have been thinking for a time. I like it, but just wanted some feedback. Good or bad. What are your thoughts?[​IMG]

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Just my opinion, but it will make it very difficult for someone down the road to identify you as the maker unless they're already familiar with your work.

~Chip

Bill DeShivs likes this.
  3. DavidHoback

Dec 10, 2014
    Oh I'm not worried about that. I don't make knives for money. And I certainly am not looking for them to make me famous. I've given more knives as gifts than I have sold. :D I do this because God blessed me with a gift, despite being disabled and paralyzed in my left arm. I am so thankful to be able to do these things. People not knowing my mark doesn't concern me. I know it.

4. DeAdEyE956

DeAdEyE956

Dec 31, 2010
    Is there a significance to the lines? It would be easier to give feedback knowing why you chose this. It looks interesting. What about a D and H over lapping each other?

5. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    I don't understand the scale/zoom
    There is some painters/art rule of thumb,
    the painting must look good at three different viewing distances,
    so look at it 1 meter away (~3.3 feet),
    then look at it 33 cm away ( ~1 foot)
    then look at it 11 cm away ( ~4 inch)
    if it looks good at all three distance (whatever the numbers actually are),
    if there is something pleasing at every distance,
    you've got a good painting
    I don't imagine a makers mark or a logo would be much different,
    some logos only look good under magnification and some makers are OK with that
    So what is a hoback inch?
    [​IMG]

6. DavidHoback

Dec 10, 2014
    The mark is only about 5/16" or so. But it shows clear. Doesn't look like the 10% you put up. I don't know much about all that ARTSY-FARTSY stuff. Not my bag! I just came up with what I found pleasing.

I would never put my initials on my knives. I always hated having initials/names/words on the knives I pirchased. It doesn't carry any hidden "deep meaning". I came up with this after a friend mentioned having something showing some kind of FLINT KNAPPED blade. I then sketched the primary part. The three lines are the new addition. The only thing I can say they represent are "CUTS" that type of edge would make. And "3" is a lucky number.

7. DeAdEyE956

DeAdEyE956

Dec 31, 2010
    Interesting mark. If you're not worried about people seeing the mark and not knowing how to look you up or how they can describe it then go for it. I can just see someone asking "who made this nice knife, not sure but it has 3 vertical lines and an arch?"

8. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    :thumbsup::cool: there you go