1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new project 23.5"V4E

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by gsx-rboy750, Dec 8, 2018.

1. gsx-rboy750

gsx-rboy750

Jul 3, 2014
    I started machining my hoddy knives. I work at a small machine shop that is nice enough to let me jump on the 2 axis cnc once in a while.

About 4 years ago I made a 23.5 inch cpm3V chopper called the grinch. It was 0.220 thick and 2.3 wide. The handle could be handled two handed but was shorter.

Long and the short is I started to explore making a faster, lighter and backpackable grinch.

I drew up a design in bobcad and made it. I recently finished it and have been testing. I live up north and it was 0 degrees this morning. I had it hardened a 58 59RC because it the lower temps it will endure.
    When i go winter camping i have a 24inch saw and a cutting impliment. Mainly cutting 5 to 6 inch and under wood.

Well it is handling as expected. 0.150 stock. 1lb 6 oz. 23.5 inches overall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Nice work. The contours on your 2-handed Grinch look well-thought out, trading out the possibility for a mid-hilt grip for solid holds on either end. It also looks like a beast of a chopper....and given that the time of year you want to use it, that makes the Grinch the best Christmas Chopper around. What a way to put the fun back into Christmas chopping season!

3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    that really is a cool build, congrats... I've been looking at using some cpm4v which is essentially the same stuff... I was concerned about the 1% carbon making it too brittle/carbidy for a chopper. So I kept swinging back to 3v at 0.8% (or even the super low cost, 80crv2)

how hard have you pushed it? how much abuse is it taking? Did you cryo it?

4. gsx-rboy750

gsx-rboy750

Jul 3, 2014
    I had bought the 2x23.5x0.150 to make some edc size knives. I had machined some out of CPM3V and was going to compare to V4E.

I ended up randomingly drawing that chopper and making it.
    That said I 3V is my favorite steel in that section.
    I wanted to see if it would fail or chip real bad.
    I did not do the heat treat. I have had very good luck with peters. I did request a low temper but it was around blade show and I think they were low staffed and did the standard heat treat with cryo.

The other chopper picture is 3V with the low temper 60.5 RC. I beat that as far as it can be beaten.

I do plan on running this hard. I have already started but it will be a ultralight selection. I also wanted this to have really good edge holding as far as wood working goes.
    I figured it the comp choppers are using it at 62 64 RC. It should work good.
    With the RC 58 59 is is actually pretty flexable.