My other newest; Bulldog Cutting Horse

The other knife I ordered came in, my first Bulldog.

For a while now I've wanted a stockman, and have been looking for one that fits my tastes. And seeing the sowbelly a while back, I liked that better than the usual "straight" framed stockmans, so I started looking for one of those instead of a regular stockman.

Somewhere along the line I found the Bulldog Cutting Horse. Those curvy blades are much more flowing(sexy, even ;) ) and more attitude than a regular sowbelly. So, it was decided that my want for a stockman would be fulfilled by a Cutting Horse when I got to that part of my "short list"(in other words when I could spare the $$ from more pressing things like gas, and truck parts :rolleyes: ).

I had also been looking for a horse themed or named knife to keep in the new truck (Ford Bronco); "Cutting Horse" works for that and black horn matched the black paint nicely too.

So, a bit of bonus cash expected next month, I went ahead and ordered several slippies I've wanted, first the GEC, then this one.

IMGP1731.jpg

It is a 25th aniversery knife, and as stated on collectorknives.net "are the highest quality Bulldog knives we have seen in 10 years"

Hmmmmm. If thats the case, then I'm not too sure how the quality would be taken on the others.. I think this one is fine, quite good overall actually. But I am a a lot less picky than a lot of collectors...

This one has 99.9% immaculate bone fit to bolsters, great steel that took a wicked edge(although a little softer than others; it sharpened much faster than the GEC 1095, or case CV). no matter, really; sharp is sharp. We shall see how long it holds an edge.

It has a slight gap in 2 places; opposite ends, and opposite sides of the center liner in the back. I actually wonder how common that gap is, since my Remington has it in Exactly the same place/orientation. No big deal, you can only see the gaps if you are looking for it.

IMGP1730.jpg

But I was slightly surprised in the way the blades sit in the frame; the main large blade had a 3/8" long flat spot on the edge; inspection shows that the blade kick is lower than the edge. When closed, the edge barely clears the spring; when let to snap shut under spring pressure, it lightly hits the spring and flattens/rolls that spot on the edge. There is a bevel on one inner side of the spring, I believe to give clearance for the edge, but it is not quite enough.

Not that it matters to function, but for the record; The spring also sits high, not flush when the blade is open.

IMGP1726.jpg

The back smaller curved blade is the same, although it has a good mid height kick, there is a high spot on the spring where it needs to be thicker around the center pin; It contacts the edge when closed creating a small(1/8" long) flat spot.

IMGP1728.jpg

The spey blade sits nice and high on lots of kick, no contact problems.

IMGP1727.jpg

The soft-ish feel to the steel might be letting it flatten the edges easier when the hit. But the point is that they do hit where they should not, so that really is a mute point.(no pun intended.. )

I have sharpened the blades well, to where the flat spots were gone, and have opened/closed many times checking this; The flat spots returned, but are nowhere near as long as they were to start with. Well within servicable, especially if sharpened with use anyway. 95% perfect if I have to put an overall rating on it. The loss to someone grinding the kicks a little too much at assembly.

In a lot of ways I hate having learned so much about fit, finish, etc. I now automatically see and note the smallest "flaws", but to me they really don't mean a damned thing...

I LOVE the curves to the blades, and the angles they sit in relation to the frame, a very different feel for cutting angle. Puts the edge at a better angle to the hand I think. Overall for me, it is a user, and a very, very fine knife. Solidly built, and very beautiful! It will see years of love and use, and that is all thats important to me.

I might even "fix" the blade kicks by relieving the inner side of the springs slightly where the edges contact. I might. As I said, is is perfectly functional as it is... All I need to do is get some leather made for it, to hang on the dash in the truck.

My "artistic shot" I like playing with nifty photo ideas, and try to put at least one in these "write ups", this was the best I could think of this time. The fender emblem on the truck..

IMGP1732.jpg

And with the GEC;

IMGP1733.jpg

Since I posted that at another forum yesterday, I have been told by a friend that is a collector that has several of the 25th aniv. ones, that I have an exception to the Quality of them. I am sure he is right, there is just a few too many small flaws in this one for the reputation I have seen Bulldog to have.

It was recamended that I send it back for an exchange... If it was not a user, I would. But, since it is a user, and I have it, I think this knife deserves its chance to do what it was made to do; serve well for years to come. After it is sharpened a few times, the edge will drop enough to not touch the springs anymore anyway.

I'm happy with it, and thats all that counts... I bonded with it like I do all new slippies; It helped me through a steak dinner tonight. :D

G.

Last edited:

JPD1998

Gold Member
Nice review and great pictures!

I have three of the 25th aniv sowbellies and two of them had some QC issues ( one is perfect).

One has the same problem as yours, but more prominent on the small clip blade. With sharpening it occurs less than when new ( also the spring is loosening up so I don't "snap" the blade as much).

The other was a basket case, the clip blade was wobbly and so poorly out of alignment that it would move in front of the spay blade whenever it was opened. I should have sent it back, but I got it on the Bay.

I fixed it by tightening the pivot and then slightly bending small clip blade. I took a chance, I thought it was going to snap off.

They're just so nice to look at... I wonder how the new Schatt Sowbelly is?

Thanks fellows, Peter; I try, sometimes like these, I just get lucky.

Schatt makes a sowbelly? I'll have to see about that... ;)

G.