My Pics disappeared

Mine have too. They are hosted at post images.org, and all I usually have to do is cut-n-paste their "Hotlink for forums" link, like this, below...

...but lately that's stopped working.

Mine have too. They are hosted at post images.org, and all I usually have to do is cut-n-paste their "Hotlink for forums" link, like this, below...

...but lately that's stopped working.
I suspect you want the second option, "Direct link."

Cold-Steel-XL-Tanto-Voyager-2.jpg

Or at least, when I choose that option, hit the "Insert image" button here, choose the link option, and paste in the link, I can see an image just like normal.

EDIT: Nope! I can only see it in the preview of my post. The actual post has the little red broken image X instead.

Hmm. How about manually putting that "Direct link" URL into IMG tags?

Cold-Steel-XL-Tanto-Voyager-2.jpg

EDIT 2: Nope, that also doesn't work. This is a weird one! o_O

Hmm. I'm assuming someone wants money to make it work, or some update to one system or another broke functionality. Ah, well.

I think there is a glitch in the matrix. Have seen a bunch of X's on some threads, but if you +Quote and <-Reply they show up in the draft message.

images.com servers are taking too long to serve the images, causing our image proxy processes to not be able to cache them

yep mine are hosted on smugmug and not showing either. Thanks for the update Spark

images.com servers are taking too long to serve the images, causing our image proxy processes to not be able to cache them

Surely there has to be something going on with the forum software that’s causing this. Suddenly every external image hosting site (except Imgur, and even it isn’t working in some cases) that used to work fine stops working, all at the same time? Postimg, imgbox, smugmug, imageshack, ImgBB all used to work here, and now they suddenly don’t.

Here’s a picture hosted on GEC’s website that doesn’t show up:

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg

Here’s one hosted on Apple.com:

Apple_ShotoniPhone_abdullah_shaijie-middle-east_011221_inline.jpg.small_2x.jpg

Here’s one hosted on NASA’s website:

main_image_star-forming_region_carina_nircam_final-5mb.jpg

Surely there has to be something going on with the forum software that’s causing this. Suddenly every external image hosting site (except Imgur, and even it isn’t working in some cases) that used to work fine stops working, all at the same time? Postimg, imgbox, smugmug, imageshack, ImgBB all used to work here, and now they suddenly don’t.

Here’s a picture hosted on GEC’s website that doesn’t show up:

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg

Here’s one hosted on Apple.com:

Apple_ShotoniPhone_abdullah_shaijie-middle-east_011221_inline.jpg.small_2x.jpg

Here’s one hosted on NASA’s website:

main_image_star-forming_region_carina_nircam_final-5mb.jpg
Whats interesting is that they show up in my email from Bladeforums... And when I reply to your post. It's just not visible when in the actual thread

I assume this is a service that this forum uses to retrieve images from hosting sites. Is this an issue that the images.com servers people can be expected to resolve eventually?

I use Imgur to host my pics (while continuing to save them by gradually transferring from my phone to my laptop), downsizing to around 1200 wide, then copying the BB code and pasting that directly into the text box when writing a message to post.

I've gone back and found that my pics in posts from before early Sept, 2017 are red-X'd and those posted after still show up. Does this indicate a per user cap on the amount of this sort of data here and that every pic I post going forward will wipe out an older one? Or is this a function of images being served to BF from newest to oldest and your caching is just missing the earlier ones.

It is disappointing to see those pics and earlier threads incomplete as older posts are a great resource for information and research. I'm among those that actively support this place and hope that this is an issue that can be resolved both for older and current images. The present difficulties just take away too much of the enjoyment from BF.

UQPiynV.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone back and found that my pics in posts from before early Sept, 2017 are red-X'd and those posted after still show up. Does this indicate a per user cap on the amount of this sort of data here and that every pic I post going forward will wipe out an older one? Or is this a function of images being served to BF from newest to oldest and your caching is just missing the earlier ones.

I noticed this same problem with Imgur-hosted images prior to that same date (give or take), and I found that for whatever reason, the links on those older pics started with http:// while the ones after that point all start with https://. If you go in and edit any of those posts and just add that little s, your images should show up again. (I didn’t do it for all my old posts — still hoping for an actual solution — but I did go and do it for a couple threads in which I regularly posted that some people might go back and look through, like this traditional knives in movies thread.

btb01 btb01

Before seeing your post, I went back into Imgur and found the pic that I remembered starting a thread with that wasn't showing now. I deleted the pic there and replaced it with the same one from Imgur and it's showing now.

After seeing your post, I went back to Imgur and looked at the BB code on the aforementioned pic. It currently includes the "s", so I guess Imgur must have updated the code at their site, but the BF proxy server (or whatever it is) isn't finding it as it's still looking for the old code. I'm hoping Spark Spark can find a solution for this as I'd like to have all my old posts restored (as well as those of others). I'm certainly not going to go through two plus years of earlier posts to restore all my old pics, but, like you, would like to do a few in some threads here and there if our fearless leader doesn't come up with a fix.

I identified another pic using the edit button, but couldn't find an easy way to bring up the BB code. I could find it in a wall of code at Inspect Element, but couldn't find any practical way to separate and copy it. Did you have a simple method to bring that old BB code up to simply add an "s"? Scrolling through 5000 or so Imgur pics is waaaay too tedious. :(

http is being gradually deprecated across the web so you should absolutely bear that in mind when linking in the future. I'll see if I can get a filter in place for replacing http://imgur with https but bear in mind that there are multiple imgur based URLs

btb01 btb01

Before seeing your post, I went back into Imgur and found the pic that I remembered starting a thread with that wasn't showing now. I deleted the pic there and replaced it with the same one from Imgur and it's showing now.

After seeing your post, I went back to Imgur and looked at the BB code on the aforementioned pic. It currently includes the "s", so I guess Imgur must have updated the code at their site, but the BF proxy server (or whatever it is) isn't finding it as it's still looking for the old code. I'm hoping Spark Spark can find a solution for this as I'd like to have all my old posts restored (as well as those of others). I'm certainly not going to go through two plus years of earlier posts to restore all my old pics, but, like you, would like to do a few in some threads here and there if our fearless leader doesn't come up with a fix.

I identified another pic using the edit button, but couldn't find an easy way to bring up the BB code. I could find it in a wall of code at Inspect Element, but couldn't find any practical way to separate and copy it. Did you have a simple method to bring that old BB code up to simply add an "s"? Scrolling through 5000 or so Imgur pics is waaaay too tedious. :(

Yes, sorry! I should have mentioned how to do that in my other post. If you click the three dots to the right (labeled “More Options…” if you’re on a computer and can hover over it with the cursor), and then click the brackets beneath that (“Toggle BB code” if you can hover), you can edit the BB code and just throw that “s” in there. :thumbsup:

iQHfnMb.jpg

Here’s what it looks like after you click the brackets/“Toggle BB code”:

YNfMOKs.jpg

Thanks, btb01 btb01 ! I wonder if Spark Spark , who has kindly replied above, has changed the arrangement of the icons you screenshot for me since seeing your post, as the three dots in the upper righthand corner are now gone and the "Toggle BB code" brackets are now right there on both the Post reply and Edit text boxes. Saves a step and works like a charm in the few I just fixed to give it a try. I've got a couple threads that I may well go through and restore my pics as they were started just about a year before Imgur changed their URL protocol.

Back