My pursuit of perfection

Contact any custom knife maker and tell that individual you want the perfect knife and you have 30K. Provide your definition of the perfect knife and then sign the contract. Place the 30K in escrow to show you intent and you should be good to go.

This begs the question, if a perfect watch can be found, why not a perfect knife? What are the issues knife makers face whether its custom or production? How can this be resolved?
Especially since it sounds like he's looking at fixed blades. I would think since there are less parts, there would be less things that would not be perfect. But I also don't make things so I have no idea.

I hear you, but he said he’s had customs and other knives that he really likes, but with uneven bevels and such. So what would the perfect knife be ? Is the answer just to keep buying the same knife until you get one that is perfect?
I’m just trying to offer up a solution to the problem he is having. I’ll admit that my biggest problem with knives is not having the best equipment and knowledge to resharpen a knife perfectly.
Btw, I’m not knocking people who have multiples of the same knife. But even he will admit that there could be some flaw with any knife, no matter how much money you spend on it.

Still think you are missing the point. It was not about getting a $200 knife to beat on like you suggested.

It was about finding a knife perfect in its execution. In the end he found it didn't, or couldn't, exist, and he "...accepted the fact that nothing man made is perfect and I am happy with production knives." He has no problem.

Again, he's doing the same thing anyone with more than one does.

As someone said, Patek Phillip watch parts are machine made and the watch hand assembled. That's why I think Victorinox are in the same category. Parts machine made and knives are hand assembled - about as perfect as a folder can be IMHO. Can't beat a SAK.
Rich

This begs the question, if a perfect watch can be found, why not a perfect knife? What are the issues knife makers face whether its custom or production? How can this be resolved?
IMO it all comes down to what a person thinks of as “perfection”. For example, some would say a new Ford Focus is perfect, in the sense that it gets good mileage, has creature comforts, and gets them from A to B.
Others would find faults in a $400,000 Ferrari....just depends on your personal point of view.

Any handmade knife is not going to be perfect as in high end watch perfect

Nathan’s CNC creations are close

For many of us in the perfect knife game perfection has many faces

Yes grinds etc are important but balance and feel are part of the high art

One make that is know for all around perfection is the great Nick Wheeler

Alas last I knew Nick was not making knives for order these days

Here was a run of very special Bowie’s and Fighters we did years ago

The Fighter

The Bowie

As you can see for a hand made knife Nicks work is superb

If you want the finest rendition of a Kabar I’ve come across

Sam Lurquin’s rendition is it

Last edited:
Hello. I rarely post, but I felt I could maybe provide some decent feedback. I have (and had) some nice watches (IWC, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc..), but nothing even approaching Patek Philippe. I chased a certain level of "perfection" in a watch, but quickly realized mechanical watches, while they can be finely made and well regulated, are just NOT going to be perfect. And having a watch periodically serviced is not cheap either.
Back to knives... I've had many knives and the only knives I've found approaching a level of perfection in "fit/finish" are Rockstead (production) and a Tony Bose hand made traditional folder. However, I haven't sampled a wide range of custom knives, so my "sample" size is very limited. Regards, Adam

If you are looking for a KaBar style of knife take a look at the Medford USMC Fighter or the Extrema Ratio MK2.1. These are definitely more robust knives and offer a little more in the way of fit and finish. With that kind of budget I am sure you can have something commissioned by a skilled CNC machinist/Knife Maker.

What ever you decide try and check back in, I would be an interesting journey to see.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Wow. So much to respond to.

I have a hard time believing you'd even know perfection if you saw it. I mean, someone who discards a Brend in favor of a Ka-Bar?

But I'll play along.

If you want perfection in a knife and are willing to spend $30k then I'd suggest you contact:

Ron Appleton
Wolf Loerchner
Ron Lake
Emmanuel Esposito

I know a guy who I refuse to make a blade for because he is way too anal about everything and casually makes life hell for anyone who does any work for him, like say, on his vehicles. He will ferret out faults in everything until he has thoroughly extinguished any joy in the matter. Sad way to go about things.

I've never seen a perfect knife, and custom hand made knives will certainly have "character" in small imperfections. Those I actually like for the most part.

For me, this subject gets into Expectations vs Price Point. I had a rude awakening when I made my first foray past the $500 mark. I bought a blade from a highly regarded maker that was shockingly bad in all the basic areas (straightness, symmetry, fit, etc). It was disappointing but opened my eyes to the dangers of hype, and it made me want to explore more on my own. I've found it to be a mixed bag at the higher price levels. Instagram has convoluted it even more with young, inexperienced smiths who gain popularity often selling pieces for more than veteran, established makers.

In my limited experience, 2 names I would recommend without hesitation are Nathan Carothers and Phillip Patton. Carothers has his own subforum that speaks for itself. I only own one Patton blade, but in a completely opposite way from above, I was shocked at the perfection he achieved, especially at the price point. It is a truly amazing piece that you would be hard pressed to find a single flaw on.

I know a guy who I refuse to make a blade for because he is way too anal about everything and casually makes life hell for anyone who does any work for him, like say, on his vehicles. He will ferret out faults in everything until he has thoroughly extinguished any joy in the matter. Sad way to go about things.

I run into people like this in the custom pool cue world constantly.
When looking at a hand made cue, they pull out a loupe......really?? They actually get excited to find what they believe to be flaws.
Searching for perfection???? It is the road to disappointment......doesn’t matter what you spend.

BD9FD0A8-9D5D-4847-B670-C0D389D6A425.jpeg 946054AB-38EA-4F9D-ABE7-DDE410B2637C.jpeg

Just wanted to add one more point.
Here’s my handmade custom Dunkel cue.
Is it pretty?? Yup! Amboyna burl, African ebony with ivory inlays with tiny copper rings that are inlayed with mother of pearl and ivory.
Is its appearance perfect??? Nope.
Does the bitch ‘hit’ exactly how I like it to??? Yup!!
I’ll take perfect function every time.

I agree with those who said perfection isn’t achievable. But you can get as close as possible to your idea of perfection.

What that is is highly subjective. My virtually perfect field knife is a 5/32 Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger with a burlap micarta handle. At 4” some would say it’s too long. Others, too short. Same with thickness. Then you get into the whole “what feels great in hand to me, may not for you” thing.

I think your best bet is to find a good custom maker where the knife can be made to your specification.

I'd pick up one of these
e83f0181c16e9bacd6b5afc61343b4355687f87c.jpg

Back