My quarantine kuksa

dateposted-public

Cherry, that’s a surprise. Dark and rich, I was guessing walnut. I’m no wood expert, as you can tell, lol. I like it, has a nice rustic yet well finished look.

Cherry, that’s a surprise. Dark and rich, I was guessing walnut. I’m no wood expert, as you can tell, lol. I like it, has a nice rustic yet well finished look.
It could very well be oak. An encyclopedia could be written of all the things i don't kow about Eastern Hardwoods. I know i spent as much time sharpening as i did carving. The person who gave it to me said it was cherry. Any thoughts are welcome.

Cherry darkens with age so I'm told, so after 70 years it certainly could be.

Pictures are not showing, I actually copied and pasted different code from the actual flickr page into my first response so the pic would be there.

Incidentally, glad you decided to post. It's more fun here that way.

49911434567_cdde036d34_k.jpg
20200515_091223[/url] by Jay Kehoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trying to post spoon pic again. Generally speaking, I'm a reasonably intelligent person, but this picture posting has me somewhat bumfuzzled. Before anybody asks...yes, I searched the forums and internet for advice. If anybody has any, I'd appreciate it.

I think you are copying and pasting the wrong link is all. When I did it I think I used the “BB” code. If you use the “preview” button when writing your post you’ll see whether or not the pic will show correctly, so you can try a few things before hitting the submit button.

On my desktop computer (not sure what to do on mobile) my process would be: in flickr click on 'download this photo' and then select 'view all sizes'. Then click on the version you want to share so it loads up on screen. Right click on the photo and select 'view image' which will open it up as a 'jpg' file rather than an album / flickr page. Copy the URL from the address bar. In the bladeforums post select the 'image' button and paste the copied URL in there.

Cool work!

I found apple is a really nice wood to work with. Every cut comes out glossy and chip-free, but be prepared to sharpen...a lot. I was really hoping others would share their quarantine projects. Maybe I should start a new thread that isn't 90% me whining about how to post photos.
49995477487_63d0e95d4f_z.jpg

....I was really hoping others would share their quarantine projects.

I have been carving wood as well... but... in a different way. I am a freediver spearfisher and I am into wooden speargun making! Certainly survival oriented... Truth to be told, power tools are being used for the projects (router, jigsaw, circular saw, die grinder, sanding drums, etc), as well as sandpaper, chisels, rasps, etc.

I really like those items you carved. My worry about crafting something out of wood that it is going to be in touch with food is mainly about choosing the right wood. I am a total noob and I would probably end up choosing the hardest, more difficult to carve, poisonous wood ever...

Mikel

Nice work! What kind of blades are you using?--KV

These are from Deepwoods Ventures. My favorite is second from the left: it has a nice bend toward the tip. Far right is a Real Steel...once I got it sharpened the way I like it, I can't fault it any.
49998708752_387db7c0df_z.jpg

I have been carving wood as well... but... in a different way. I am a freediver spearfisher and I am into wooden speargun making! Certainly survival oriented... Truth to be told, power tools are being used for the projects (router, jigsaw, circular saw, die grinder, sanding drums, etc), as well as sandpaper, chisels, rasps, etc.

I really like those items you carved. My worry about crafting something out of wood that it is going to be in touch with food is mainly about choosing the right wood. I am a total noob and I would probably end up choosing the hardest, more difficult to carve, poisonous wood ever...

Mikel
That is really intriguing. What sort of band do you use for power? Post Pictures (said the guy who just learned how to post pictures).
An easy to find greenwood to carve is Honeysuckle and it grows back almost before you're done carving. I carved this spoon from a honeysuckle root ball my neighbor dug up. Let it dry slowly because, oh man, does it like to crack. That isn't my guitar...my son was trying to teach me but I'm...not good. I can do a 19 minute jaw harp solo, though.
49998761547_e836788b7e_z.jpg

Sooooo...I talked to the person that gave me the wood. They gave me a ton and some of it was cherry. The piece I carved the kuksa from was...walnut. You guessed it so good on ya.
Thanks for the help, too.

A semi-lucky guess I’ll admit, but I’ll take it. I tried carving a spoon once, it was pretty rough. You’ve inspired me to try again though, maybe I can find a left handed hook knife and do it better this time.

Back