My Quick Thoughts On The Benchmade 940 Osborne

I am always "late to the fray" on new models of production knives but after obtaining a blue handled BM Osborne 940 in a trade, I HAD to post my thoughts. I have owned and still own a lot of BM's. Let me tell you though, this is the SWEETEST of them all! The attention to detail is truly satisfying and I have owned quite a few "customs" that couldn't compete with this knife! This Axis lock is trick! I love it! It holds the blade closed as securely as any knife I've ever owned. Once it's released though, it opens so effortlessly, it seems to be "spring assisted". I have read of this knife being described as "small" or "gentlemanly". I would describe it as being as large a knife as you could want with lightness and solidity being the main factors. It IS a magic blend of lightness yet SO SOLID feeling in hand. With it's razor sharp reverse tanto edge, it could skin a deer or...well, you fill in the blank with whatever you want. As an added plus, this blue version is the PRETTIEST color I've ever seen on a folder. A wonderful knife and BM is to be congratulated big time!

I have a 942 on order right now. All I hear is good things about this knife. I can't wait until mine gets here.

Gene,
The blue 940 is probably my all-time favorite production knife. I've carried one since November. The anodizing has held up much better than I expected, and it takes an incredible edge. Still looking good, and solid as a rock. Pictures don't do them justice, they are undoubtedly the "SWEETEST" BMs.
Prettiest knife I own, and a joy to carry and use. Took buying a small Sebenza to make me leave it at home for the first time, and I frequently (like right now) find myself carrying both.
Awesome "little" knife!

Hey...

I have a 940 plain edge and it has some bad grind line problems. How hard is it gonna be for me to correct these with my Sharpmaker? Do you guys think that the 30 degree position will be a shallow enough angle to remove the bad grind? I love the knife, but it really bothers me that the grind is so bad. It's the only thing wrong with it. The grind even gets wider toward the tip. like someone pulled the handle away from the disc/belt as they were putting the final edge on it. Oh well..

Thanks in advance for the advice...

--Matt

Owen,
Couldn't agree with you more! I love this "blue beauty".

Mundele,
I WOULD NOT hassle it. I would send it back to Benchmade and make THEM correct it, which I'm sure they will. I know it's a hassle to do but it's the way I would go. Contact them at repair@benchmade.com

Thanks a lot Gene... I just sent them an email. We'll see how they handle it. I've heard mixed reviews about Benchmade QC and customer support. Hopefully they'll make it right.
At first I felt like I was being petty, but this was an expensive knife and it should be right. Especially something as simple as the sharpening grind line. Ya know?

Thanks again...

--Matt

I got mine a few days ago. I LOVE it.

I can't figure out why this knife is refered to as "small" or as a "gentleman's knife". The blade is 3.4". I've got a Native and a mini-AFCK, both with blades of around 3". No one refers to these as "small gentleman's knifes".
I don't get it.

Scott

Good for you Matt! Sometimes you might have to resend the e-mail but they're usually pretty good. They should take care of you fine.

Hi Scott,
I HAVE. Usually not in the same sentence though. I WOULD call it a nice "gentleman's" folder though. Use your search function on the "General" and this forum and you'll see what I mean. Who cares though, this is a sweetheart!

I'm no fan of Benchmade, but the 940 is one of my favorite folders. It's a small big knife, a big small knife a tough gentleman's knife and has quality fit, finish and fuction. Great execution. Is it really a BM?

Soryy .. couldn't help myself.

Do send it back to Benchmade with an explanation of the problem. It's true that there have been QC problems, but customer support is excellent. I have a 710 that had to go back; now it's perfect.

I sent a message to the email address Gene listed and got back a reply super-quick (like 20 mintues!!) from Angie in the repair department. She tells me that it's not a problem for them to take care of it. So far I'm impressed...

wink.gif

--Matt

Ditto Gene!

I've had my green handled one for a while and while other knives might come and go, I have a place for this one and plan on keeping it for a long time!

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Yes, Gene. The 940 is a great "little" knife. Actually, with a 3.4" blade, it's not really that little. The profile and "thinness" make it seem smaller than it is. It's a great everyday carry. On my short list of top favorites. Enjoy!
cool.gif

Yeah Gary And Nerd,
It's been a LONG time since I've been this pleased with a folder either CUSTOM or production. Like you Gary, this thing is STAYING! Oh man, and those blue aluminum scales...and on and on.

Just got a 940 today. Actually this is my second one. The first was a first production run and a non-user. This one I got from discount knives of the internet. I'm also not a Benchmade fan but this knife is very sharp! Grind lines are not perfect and locks up tight. But the lines are not that bad. The knife is a good deal for $104.00. I like it.

I received my 940 green today. It was disappointing to find two flat spots on the edge...I contemplated sending it back , but took out the sharpener and took the dings out in no time...now I need a G2 sheath for him?

I know this is late but, I just got a 940 two days ago and I am really impressed with this little knife. I am sure it will be my daily carry for a long while.

I love my 940. It went with me to Texas on a hog hunting trip. I used it for skinning several deer and hogs and it performed extremely well, though I'm sure it wasn't designed with field dressing and skinning game in mind. It held a good edge, and hogs will really test a knife in that area. They wallow int the sand so much that it gets embedded in their hide and makes a pretty abrasive skinning job.

Back