1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 24, 2019.

1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beautiful job, Darren!

waverave likes this.
  2. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Very nice work. It looks great, Darren.

waverave likes this.
  3. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I love threads like this! So great to see old neglected knives being made handsome and ready to be put back into service. And, even more, I love seeing new skills being developed and deeply appreciate folks’ willingness to share their first and early attempts at building that skill.

Thanks for sharing, Darren. You did a great job and I hope first project is not the last! :) :thumbsup:

waverave likes this.
  4. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Thanks! It is tortoise shell acrylic :thumbsup:

Don W likes this.
  5. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    It is all about the right tools...little things you wouldn't assume like center punch, countersink bit, a very small (1-3oz) hammer and a stiddy. One could make do without much but it makes it a lot easier to have those things and some bench tools :thumbsup: The possibilities are endless :)

Pinemoon, meako and Cutfinger like this.
  6. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Nice work Darren. Are you sure you didn't Photoshop that? o_O Just kidding.

7. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    :p Thanks Ed actually Im going to bring some of those Photoshop projects to life :thumbsup:

flatblackcapo, seas165, meako and 3 others like this.
  8. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Very cool idea!

waverave likes this.
  9. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    I have had this one on my mind since inception...maybe not with a Bose blade but something like it is very do-able. Who knows maybe we can do a short-run Cult of the Peanut knife (after I learn how to do this better of course) :)
    Case_Bose_Peanut_bail_single_noshield.jpg

10. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Great job! You've inspired me to try it. I have the tools so now I will start looking for a likely victim!

Pinemoon and waverave like this.
  11. CasePeanut

May 25, 2018
    I’m in for that!

waverave likes this.
  12. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    The world is not ready for the amount of tortoise shell acrylic recovers we’re about to see. :eek:

Just kidding, Darren. It looks great! I’m shocked this is the result of your first attempt.

Cutfinger, akaMatt and waverave like this.
  13. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Thanks Colin :thumbsup: I'll try to keep the tortoise shells limited to a select few :) (famous last words)
    In this case, it just happened to be the only material I have at the moment...and it is fairly easy to work with. It smells like sh*t though when you grind it! :D

14. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Haha, no I like it. I only want to see tortoiseshell from you. It’ll be like a “Darren’s been here” sign. :D

waverave likes this.
  15. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Wow! I stand amazed! Very nice job on that one Darren!

waverave likes this.
  16. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I've always wanted to try something like that also. Looks great. I picked up a couple Rough Rider kits with all the raw parts to put a traditional together. But it was a bit intimidating. Still thinking about it. :D

waverave likes this.
  17. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Go for it! Those kits or other cheaper knives are perfect to learn on :thumbsup:

meako likes this.
  18. CasePeanut

May 25, 2018
    Im working on my first rough rider kit now. It is rough! Darn thing was covered in glue and only had half the pins I needed. Off to Jantz for pinstock, a peining hammer and a little anvil. It’s a lot cheaper to buy a Rough Rider than to make one!

waverave likes this.
  19. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Holy cow, that turned out great. I’ve done a few and been happy but haven’t gotten results like that yet. I’m not really sure what I’m doing, I’ve just been trying to figure it out as I go. I may pick your brain over pm for some tips if you don’t mind.

waverave likes this.
  20. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Pretty much an echo of what others have said....ya done good! :thumbsup:

waverave likes this.